A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,404
Currently Running With Scissors:
847 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you make mushrooms appetizing?  (Read 5118 times)
Tags for this thread: mushroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ragdoll193
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010 07:48:12 PM »

that actually does sound kinda tasty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
purple_leopard
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010 02:12:15 PM »

I completely understand about the mushroom dislike - I was the same until I discovered mushroom soup!  Delicious!  I then moved on to sauteed mushrooms on toast (brown - has to be brown!) with a bit of stilton crumbled over.  Yum yum yum.

Now I put them in a lot of things to bulk them out, like stir fries, fajitas, and bolognese.  Give the toast topping a try, and if you don't like blue cheese, brie is good too!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Can't Hack, Won't Hack http://canthack.org
Cthuliz

Check out cthuliz.com!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010 04:06:44 PM »

Portobello mushroom burgers! I hated mushrooms until I tried these. Just make sure you grill them up really well on each side. If you like a spicy kick, top them with pepperjack cheese.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010 04:55:35 PM by Troublet - Reason: modified to comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LIKE WHAT YOU SEE? You can find tutorials for most of the things I make on my blog.
Cthuliz: http://blog.cthuliz.com

Like my blog on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CthulizBlog
Or follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cthuliz/pins
matie1138
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010 03:10:20 PM »

I always cook them with garlic and a bit of cheese and it never fails!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chobah
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010 10:41:31 AM »

I get my kids to eat portabellos by first lightly sauteing them gill side down, then building them up like a pizza. a layer of spinach for the first layer, topped with chopped tomatoes, fontina cheese, and a few italian herbs. broil it until the cheese is good and melted and lightly browned and enjoy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spooky2012
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010 07:12:22 PM »

I like mushrooms in omelets with spinach and lots of cheese. I also like them fried and put on top of veggie burgers (with lots of cheese... yes I like cheese). I've also had them cooked with red bell pepper and onion which was pretty good. Hope this is helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010 05:58:02 AM »

Saute them in butter, minced garlic, soy sauce.

Put them in pizzas, pitas, fried rice, and mixed veggies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
honeybone
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010 06:47:34 AM »

I too used to hate mushrooms, but now I looooooove them.

I love to stuff big portabellos with cream cheese and pinenuts, super delicious.
Or blue cheese. Yummmmmm.

Hoping there are some mushrooms in the fridge right now so I can saute them in garlic,  wine and cream, and serve them with mums handmade bread and a big dollop of sour cream and lots of pepper.

Who cares if it's quarter to two in the morning, I WANT MUSHROOMS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissablair

I like my coffee like I like my men: pale & bitter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010 11:21:44 AM »

The best advice that I ever received about mushrooms was to treat them like meat.  That means that, let's say you want to make chicken stir-fry.  Marinate the sliced mushrooms the same way that you'd marinate the chicken and add them to the wok first (otherwise they'll never get done, just like meat!)   

Mushrooms absorb flavors -very- well, so if you're not too keen on that mushroomy taste (which I adore, but DH can't stand) use marinades in flavors that you do enjoy.  They also pair well with onions, so you might try adding equal amounts of onion and mushroom to a dish.  I especially like them with peppers and onions in veggie fajitas.

As for the differences between different types, the only kinds that I have access to on a regular basis are: white button, crimini or baby portabella, and shiitake.  I think that the criminis have a bit stronger flavor than the white buttons, but that flavor is absolutely, completely, utterly BORN to be paired with tarragon! Oh my goodness, I cannot sing tarragon's praises enough when it comes to criminis.  Just smelling it as it cooks is enough to send my palate soaring. 

Shittakes have a woodier stem than either buttons or criminis, so they should be removed before you cook them, but I usually add them into the mix when i'm making vegetable stock.  They probably have the meatiest texture of the three, so if that texture is something you're not particularly fond of, just slice them as thin as possible, and they'll take on more of the texture of well-carmelized onions.

For more information and ideas about how to use mushrooms, I highly recommend the Good Eats episode "The Fungal Gourmet".  He makes mushrooms make sense ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is nothing on earth more entertaining than watching a pack of half-grown puppies playing in snow for the very first time.

http://www.wists.com/lissablair
adrienne_bowers
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010 02:50:31 PM »

I'm sure this has probably been said, but fry them up with some butter or olive oil and some seasoning.  throw in some onion also!  I usually make a delicious spinach entree with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, onion,  marinade, green peppers and butter.  YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 0/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 7/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 8/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 2/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 4/8
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...