A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Heavy Duty machine suggestions?  (Read 582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009 03:28:48 PM »

I saw the new Singer HD105 and thought I was going to get it, til I read the reviews at least. Pretty much scored a 2 and noone had anything really nice to say about it.
So I was thinking maybe a Brother but just not sure on which model would be good for heavy weight stuff like denim and canvas. I have a Singer Simple and when I was self learning how to sew it was good and still is. But it just doesn't cut it for thicker stuff.
I am looking to spend about $300, any suggestions on what to look at or not to look at??
And I am not looking for any fancy stitching for this one.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009 03:45:21 PM »

Please keep in mind that the term "heavy duty" is just that, a term.  It's allot like the phrase "new & improved".  Always take it with a grain of salt, and sometimes that's too much credit.

Have you visited your local sewing shops?  If not, consider marching in there with thick fabric samples in hand and trying a few machines for yourself.  Don't ignore the used machines either.  Since you're not after a bunch of fancy stitches, you may be better serviced with a quality used machine.

I routinely sew on machines that are well over 50 years old. If you like to tinker, and are willing to investigate some of the older models, even a machine from a tag sale or thrift store might fit the bill perfectly.  If not, look for a reputable dealer or seller that has serviced, inspected and guaranteed machines.

I have tons of information about vintage sewing machines (reviews, guides, repair info, etc.) free on my blog.  Feel free to check it out.

Here are two articles to get you started:

Choosing a Sewing machine- New, Used or Vintage?

Industrial, Commercial Grade, Professional, Industrial Strength & More- Sewing Machine Buying Guide

BTW, I think you were very wise to pass on the Sinher HD105.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009 04:24:35 PM »

Thanks. After talking to another craftster she suggested going to the dealer too with my scraps and testing them out. And I aslo thought of getting a used Bernia or husqvarna, I live in a pretty large Mennonite community and one of the family has a shop down the road I forgot about, and she has a really nice selection of used machines and the husband fixes them right there. So I think I will take a ride over there too.
I am going to check out your site, because I have an old Singer in a table that just needs a power cord, and from what I read alot of the times the old singers are better built.
thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Carolyn Castleberry
D.J. MacHale Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
George Wendt Talks About Drinking with George
Andrea Raynor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Charles Kipps Talks About Crystal Death
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...