A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starry Starry Quilted Grocery Bag/Cut down the Stash! Also INTERFACING ideas.  (Read 1366 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MegRoseSews
« on: November 20, 2009 10:50:27 AM »

Tha bouquet is combination of Mexican Sage and Cotoneaster. Both grow really well in SF Bay Area yards
Our community chorus is singing songs that have a star theme for our December concerts. Isnt that a pretty idea our director had? I thought so. I was so pleased when I found this star print fabric in my garage rafter stash (see Garage Rafter Stash Busting Story below).

I did simple one way diagonal quilting  in pretty yellow rayon thread that shows up the stars nicely.

PATTERN is my own but pretty similar to a narrower Jordy bag (a t-shape flat bottom).  

INTERFACING I really like to use or give a grocery bag that can STAND UP EMPTY. This one does nicely. I use TWO interfacings.
1)   A thick quilt batting that fuses on BOTH sides
2)   A piece of the stiff stuff that the Joannes sales staff calls CRINOLINE. It is NOT sold with interfacing at my Joannes. I have to ask for it.

I fuse one side of the batting to the outside (part that shows) of the bag and the other side to the crinoline. Then I sew my big T together in one piece, leaving the top and bottom open. I then turn my one big piece right sides out.  Then I do my simple quilting. After that I sew seams and the bottom gusset.

After that I do any trim at the top. Here I added a piece of the bag inside material, along the top and folded it down inside the bag. Its a simple blue pin dot that was in my rafter stash too and doesnt show much.

Then I INTERFACE my strap or straps with a length of the CRINOLINE and sew them onto a keychain ring from the hardware store. I attach that with either another piece of fabric or with grosgrain ribbon or whatever looks cute and I have. Usually I insert that last piece into the top of the bag but I couldnt do that here because Id done a foldover top (which I had to do because I interfaced too far out well call that a feature not a bug).

Usually I do two straps but it turned out I didnt have 4 rings the same size so my chorus director only gets one strap on her bag.

I will put in a loaf of home made bread, add a note about its connection to our concert. Also something that says its intended for groceries but I wont mind at all if she passes it on as a eco-friendly present giving bag. Some people are not take-your-own-bags to the store people and I just want it to be used.

Garage Rafter Stash Busting Story

I was working through some boxes in the garage rafters you know those boxes dont you? Yes, we put them there when we moved into our new house. That was 18 years ago now. I finally committed (of my own accord not because my husband bugged me to which is a lot better) to going through those boxes. I do 2 a week. How hard is that? Its embarrassing to have goodies that could be rottingm when the economy is blue.) I stood over the donation bin (thank you Moses that the donation pickup truck comes by every month or so) and put about half the box contents in there. I hope some crafster/sewer/teacher/costume creator is happy to find those nice big pieces of material.

The rest I committed to turning into grocery bags for holiday presents. And they have to be pretty bags, worthy of being presents.

Whatever is left, unused but still useful for somebody, after the winter holidays goes into the donation bin.

MegRose
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009 10:57:14 AM by MegRoseSews » THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009 11:07:45 AM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
destiny7877
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009 10:27:38 PM »

Thanks for the interfacing ideas and you did a great job. I love that fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
World Press Photo: Selection Process
Fashion and Beauty Photography Techniques
How to Create Ringflash Style Portraits on a Budget
How to Master High Key and Low Key Lighting for Fashion Photography
Sony Cybershot DSC-TX7 Digital Camera Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...