A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record Earring Holders  (Read 3534 times)
Tags for this thread: record , jewelry_holder  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« on: November 20, 2009 10:17:34 AM »

So I made these a few years back and Ive always considered them unfinished because I wanted to cover up the red labels.

So I was hoping perhaps fellow craftsters could help me out since Ive been drawing a huge blank. Should I even cover them or just leave them how they are now? Any opinions/help would be greatly appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riechan
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009 10:31:00 AM »

that lace on the side is very pretty!
How did you made the holes in it? (I am planning on doing the same thing)
I like them how they are. Maybe a picture you like for covering the red circle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
GrindHouseHussy19
Guess Im at the right spot!! lol Here to craft an' chat!! woohoo!!!

Member of CAA- Crafting Addicts Anonymous

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009 10:44:15 AM »

These look awesome!!!!! I really like the lace touch. Good thinking.....thumbs up!!!  Cheesy
As for that label....
Depending on what the center circle is is the question to change it or not.... I got one in a swap and I fell off my chair with what the record really was!!!!! It was a Harlequin romance record!!!! But another one that I got was with a sticker geared towards that swap!!! So really what I'm trying to say in TOO many words (hahahahaha) it's up to you to cover it or not!!!! Chalk that up to the mood ur in!!!!! Wink Either way this idea is super cute!!! Great job!!!

-GH
(I haven't made any but was curious how u got ur holes?? are they abit rough or clean cut?? thx)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlairsBear

Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009 11:49:44 AM »

how are the earrings staying on there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.
FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009 12:30:38 PM »

Aww thanks guys for replying!! When I made them I made sure that it wasnt something amazing that I would feel awful for ruining, so the labels are rather bland. And nope that wasnt too many words  Tongue
I made them by heating up a finishing nail with a candle and poking holes. I used a nail because I figured it would give some room for the thicker earrings. The candle idea was awesome, cant remember where I read it, so I didnt have to fiddle around with a lighter. I tried the whole wraping electrical tape on the end for something to grab and it kinda worked but after awhile I ended up using plyers to hold the nail. It ended up taking quite a few hours but I think it was worth it! The holes are rather clean but when I first made them some plastic kinda bunched up around the holes but it all just came off easily. Its probably a good idea to open a window too  Wink it got a little stinky! The lace and ribbon was just the glue gun and a little glue on the bows to keep the knots from slidding out.
Hopefully that describes everything, if not let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmoonbloom
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009 12:49:45 PM »

I think you should leave the labels on there just as they are. If you cover the label it will seem like you are trying to hide the fact that they are vinyls even though obviously that's what they are. It would detract from it, kwim?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MrsB.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009 01:05:00 PM »

I agree, they look great as is. I have a pile of 45's that are waiting to be crafted-I'll have to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009 08:54:56 PM »

If you have access to a drill, it works real good and you don't have to worry about the fumes.

I like the lace on there.  It adds a girly look to it. 

And unless you are emotionally attached to the red label, you could cover it with something really cool.  I did one once and put a CD over the hole with the shiny side out.  It was sparkly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009 01:18:30 AM »

If you have access to a drill, it works real good and you don't have to worry about the fumes.

I like the lace on there.  It adds a girly look to it. 

And unless you are emotionally attached to the red label, you could cover it with something really cool.  I did one once and put a CD over the hole with the shiny side out.  It was sparkly.

good idea Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
hello color!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009 07:23:00 PM »

There are some blank CDs that are black rather than shiny. I think it would look less conspicuous than a shiny CD, but I'm not sure if that's something they sell in chain stores or if it's something you have to order online. I remember reading, though, that black CDs have better sound quality than regular blank CDs, but I'm no audiophile so I can't tell the difference.

Another option would be to cut out the label circle and stretch some black lace over the hole. It might be time consuming to do that, though, since you'd be cutting from the inside out (with a hacksaw or something of the sort) - unless you can easily melt out the hole with the nail. I'm working on cutting a hole out of something much thicker than vinyl right now, so melting is not an option (I tried), and I've spent many hours now sawing, because it's hard, so it takes a long time to saw through it - but since vinyl is much thinner, it might not be so difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Aniston Sports Shorter Hair Cut
Three Back-to-School Braided Looks
How to Get the Perfect Curly Cut
Upgrade to a Rose Bun For Your Holiday Parties!
The Monday Makeover - Creating Beach Hair Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...