A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Light/crafting table  (Read 1192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« on: November 20, 2009 06:12:34 AM »

It's not decorating, exactly, but it does take up space in the corner of my family room, so I'm putting it here.  About a year ago (I think. It may have been two... Embarrassed ), after much complaining about tracing patterns, my husband decided to make me a light table. I think it was a Christmas present, but I don't think it quite got done in time for Christmas (considering I can't remember what year it was, it's not surprising that I can't remember when it was finished either).  

Anyway,  here's what he came up with:

The wood top over the lighted area comes off (and is, in fact, usually off, but we're trying to sell our house, so the top is on to look neater). There's an outlet on the right side, as well as a dimmer switch for the lights underneath, as well as storage for my sewing machine (when it's not out. When it's out, it's storage for my sewing machine cover), as well as some beads, and I think the other box under there is my thread and notion box. I can spot four swap items in this picture as well: the two bags on top are from the Vorkosigan swap, the red fabric peeking out from under the wood top is from the buy nothing swap from last November, and the purse at the right side of the desk is from the most recent round of the Geezer swap. Smiley  Guess my memory's not as bad as I thought it was.  Wink

Here's a shot of the table on (though it's kind of dark because the camera flash didn't go off):

The lights are adjustable, so I can put both of them in the same spot if I need the light to be brighter, or direct the light wherever I want it. It's really useful!

To make it, my husband bought a "computer cart" (this one: http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=1127), left off the keyboard tray, and didn't use the anchors for the top so it's removable. He made a wood frame that fits inside the sides to hold the glass (he bought what the glass store told him was used for light tables, so it's a layer of clear glass over a layer of white plexi-glass). He put the light assembly on the back support, and put the outlet box and the dimmer switch on the side.

I may make an improvement to it that I just thought of. I may pad the top, and put ironing board cover fabric over the top to make a mini built in ironing board for sewing. If I do that, I'll probably either buy gridded heat resistant fabric, or grid it myself.

I meant to show off my husband's work a long time ago, but kept putting it off (mostly because it was covered in stuff. I usually have to clean it off to use the light table).  Since I have to keep it clean for the house showings, it seemed like an ideal time to post about it.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009 03:54:24 PM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009 11:34:38 AM »

This is a fantastic idea.  Your husband did a great job.  I've been using the window--very awkward, the glass coffee table with a lamp under it--very inconvenient.  I used to use the light table at the kindergarten I worked at--ot working there anymore.  I've got to show DH this.  Great idea the adjustable lights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009 12:39:43 PM »

Thanks!  Yep, I did the same things you did (complaining all the way, mind you), when DH suggested that he could make me one.  I should mention that the glass is 1)heavy, and 2) somewhat expensive.  I think the table cost somewhere around $100 in materials, with the glass being about half of it.  DH just reminded me that the white layer is actually plexiglass (cheaper to get colored, and strong, 1/8" thick, DH says), with a layer of something like 1/4" glass over the top that won't pit, or dent like the plexiglass would. 

Joann's sold a light table for something like $50 in their larger stores (art department), and I was going to pick it up with one of their flyer coupons,  but it seemed kind of small for the kind of tracing I was doing (at the time, Burda World of Fashion patterns, though I haven't played with those in quite some time).  I don't know if they still carry it, since what I have is much larger, the light is adjustable, and I can put my sewing machine on it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009 09:59:36 PM »

Well, since I can't draw worth hoot, this is a great idea.  (Have you also used your computer monitor to copy?)  This type of desk is so useful and versatile. Thanks for the measurements.  That will come in very helpful if I can talk him into making one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009 09:48:27 AM »

Yes, in fact, I have used my computer monitor to copy things (in fact, I did it on my last swap for a shrinky dink necklace I made so that I didn't have to print out the page, and take it over to the light table... mostly because my printer's tempermental).  Smiley

It's also nice that the cart he bought to make it out of has wheels, so it's easier to move (the glass makes the table heavy).  Not that I've moved it much, but if I had to, it's a good feature.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009 11:27:20 AM »

Great idea having wheels on it.  Makes it mobile which is great if you don't have a lot of room and need it out of the way when not in use.  I'd like to see how you add on an ironing area on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid Hair
How to Get Shiny Hair
How to Curl Your Hair with a Flat Iron: Messy Look
How to Get Big Hair
How to Deal with Hair Breakage
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...