A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone know an Irish or green Soup  (Read 1737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2004 12:58:30 PM »

HELP!!!! I am in need of either an Irish soup or green colored soup recipe.  Anything which can be linked in some way to either the color green or Ireland will work but it must be vegitarian (because I am not touching raw beef) and not have potatoes in it (as they tend to make me end up in the hospital.)  Seafood is ok, just no beef/chicken/pork.  A whiskey soup is also a possiblity if anyone knows one.   I know this is a tough one but I am kinda stuck with the soup (or stew) course in a upcoming dinner party.  Could be worse...I could have had the meat course.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004 04:18:43 PM »

Can you use fresh peas instead?  I suppose they would end up being added with the other veggies then.  Where does one find dry split peas anyway?  Near the beans?  It looks easy enough.  The only soup I've ever made is from Campbell's and then only when I'm sick.  Smiley  What does crisp-ender mean.  Oh, I hope that means they are still crunchy!  I hate soft veggies.  

Any ideas on what to transport hot soup in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004 08:21:34 PM »

OK, I now know why I hate soup.  

How about plain Campbell's double noodle soup?  Then adding some nice crunchy veggies in at the end.  Maybe some green food coloring to it.  Oh or start with spinach noodles in veggie broth!  

Thanks for trying to help.  I have a feeling that I'm going to hate what I end up making.  Soft veggies...ick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004 10:43:06 PM »

Yeah, trying to make an Irish soup without potatos or beef or ham is going to be nearly impossible.  

This recipe for Irish Bean and Ham soup could probably be made with a vegetarian ham substitute:
http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/cooking/peaham.shtm

This recipe for Boxty and Vegetable stew is vegetarian, but the boxty is a potato griddle cake.  You could probably substitute some other dumpling or griddle cake:
http://www.european-vegetarian.org/777.0.html?&L=1about.html

This is an Irish bisque.  It has russet potatos in it, but I think those could be removed without much damage to the recipe.  Substitute with carrots, turnips or cauliflower and some cornstarch to make up for the starch in the potato.  You might not even need that.  It also calls for chicken broth, but in most cases, you can substitute fish or vegetable broth pretty easily.
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/irish/celery-root-bisque1.html

This soup sounds yummy.  It's a Parsnip and Apple soup.  It also calls for beef or chicken broth, but if desired another broth could be substituted.
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/irish/parsnip-apple-soup1.html

I always recommend adjusting the seasonings in any recipe to taste, and that is especially true when you substitute.  There may not, for instance, be as much salt in vegetable broth as chicken, and some salt might be added.  Since you intend to cook without meats, you can freely taste your soups throughout the cooking process without worrying about the meats not being cooked enough, and I highly recommend doing so.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004 09:14:59 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004 04:12:19 PM »

Lime jello would be a side dish.  I have no problem with jello.  I just hate the taste and texture of most meats.  The fat makes me gag.  Therefor I have ended up being a vegitarian due to taste reasons.   If I had the side dish I would have no problem. Smiley  Lightly steamed fresh asparagus, green beans or peas with some yummy spices...mmm...all good!  Or some grilled green pepper with cream cheese or stuffed or steamed. Ah, tasty! Or napa spring rolls.  Those are heavenly.    I think aspargus is going to be dinner tonight.  Sounds so good.

Anyway, I have settled on adding whiskey to the recipe on the Campbell's site for Shrimp Toss.  http://www.campbellsoup.com/  I am renaming it Whiskey Shrimp Toss.  The chives as a garnish will make it green! I just hate soup and have decided that this is as close as I can bare to get to soup!  Iguess I'll have to restock the good Irish whiskey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004 03:54:04 PM »

That recipe turned out great.  I served it with an Irish Oatmeal Bread and it went over well.  Thanks all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Clay Animals
How to Make a Single Flower Dome Arrangement
How to Sew With a Sewing Machine
How to Make a Friendly Foam Porcupine
How to Make a Snow Globe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...