A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finished sweater - how do I enlarge the neck?!  (Read 588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JazzyBunny
« on: November 18, 2009 10:35:24 AM »

Hello all,

I finished making my first baby sweater but, now that the baby is here, I realize the neck is WAY too small. The yarn is very slick (it's Knitpicks Shine Worsted weight if you're familiar) so I'm reluctant to sew seams on the shoulder and cut it, but I think this is the only way because I already did the collar. Any suggestions on how to do this? I did it to a dog sweater I made once. It didn't look very nice in the end... but it was for a dog and it ended up on the dog's tummy so nobody minded much  Wink Being a baby sweater I would like it to look nice. I'm a pretty experienced knitter, but a very inexperienced seamstress.

thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009 05:43:39 PM »

My suggestion would be - and you won't like this! - take the collar out and then take out a few rows then finish it off. It really wouldn't take that long and I think you'll be happier with the finished product.

OR, you could conceivably sew it up the middle several times to make sure it holds (slippery yarn such as cotton is really iffy on this)  (I don't know what pattern you used) to reinforce it, then steek and add a band to finish it off nicely.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

JazzyBunny
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009 11:57:11 AM »

Yes, I'd really rather not take apart the neck, etc... but will consider it.

Can someone explain what is meant by this option please?:

OR, you could conceivably sew it up the middle several times to make sure it holds then steek and add a band to finish it off nicely.

thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009 12:50:52 PM »

Steeking is when you machine sew and then cut a knitted item. like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JazzyBunny
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009 12:12:53 PM »

Thank you! Just one last detail please. Since I'm not attaching the steeked edge to anything later (like an arm of a sweater in the example) how do I cover up the ugly edge where the knitting has frayed to where the machine stitching is?
Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JazzyBunny
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009 04:12:16 PM »

Nevermind. I decided to suck it up, take the neck out and rework it and I'm almost done. Should have done this from the start...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009 07:42:47 PM »

Good on ya! That is the best way to go about it ... and it will give you more practice! I remember the days when I would say 'never mind' but I'm happy to report that now I do a LOT of ripping out (even after 50 years of knitting!) in order to get it just right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009 07:46:54 PM »

Thank you! Just one last detail please. Since I'm not attaching the steeked edge to anything later (like an arm of a sweater in the example) how do I cover up the ugly edge where the knitting has frayed to where the machine stitching is?
Thanks again!
Forgot to answer this: for the raw edge, you pick up stitches along the edge and knit a border - either a k1p1 ribbing, or something else, up to you. I'm doing that now with one sweater I steeked (and cringed while doing so - I was a steeking virgin!) and i'm doing a plain band of st stitch with one row of purl to make it fold over into a hem that I will then hand-sew down to reinforced where I cut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rum Cake Recipe
Red Velvet Brownies Recipe
Sparkling Snowflake Shortbread Recipe
Elegant Praline Rugelach Recipe
Our Easiest Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...