A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 303,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: french toast muffins (with questions)  (Read 2952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
hm. i'll fill this in when i think of something clever...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2010 08:17:05 PM »

So I just had these french toast muffins from costco that were amazing. Well, I really want to make it into a cake, and I can only find muffin recipes. All the cake ones are like coffee cake with maple syrup in it, or are more like bread pudding with french toast in it instead of bread.

I made the muffin recipe anyway (found at http://www.grouprecipes.com/53402/maple-french-toast-muffins.html )and used a maple donut glaze recipe (with a sprinkle of cinnamon) for the top. (I don't know why I decided to take the picture after it was in a ziplock bag, but I'm not happy with it yet, so more later)

I used the same recipe but only a 1/2 cup of sugar and used 2 tsp maple syrup since i didn't have maple flavoring. I also didn't make the topping or butter in the recipe, and made them in cupcake tins.

Now questions:

Is the muffin recipe pretty much the same recipe as cake? I'm guessing I might need to put more eggs in to make it fluffier, but would that be the only difference between muffins and cake?

And it had crumbles on top. All the recipes I'm looking at calls for crumbled real french toast... doesn't sound right to me. How else would you make crumbles?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010 10:21:27 PM »

So this isn't a professional opinion by a long shot, but from what I've gathered, the way the butter and sugar are combined are also important in the difference between muffins and cake (the former being a type of quick bread and the latter, well, cake).

Crumbles are more easy, being comprised of a mixture of room-temp. butter, flour and brown sugar. 
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010 10:21:50 PM »

These sound delicious. I am thinking crumble toppings usually are a mixture of sugar, spice and flour ...sometimes using butter.  Honestly whenever I make cakes I usually make it entirely in muffin form or part of it anyways. Only cooking time is affected (reduced).
You have me intrigued since this is the first time I have heard of French Toast Muffins.

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010 03:29:07 AM »

how would you crumble real french toast? silly recipes! anyway, i agree with the butter, sugar, brown sugar way of making crumbles, or if you wanted you could go buy that french toast cereal and crumble it a bit and use that for the topping.

*~Saviors and Saints and Devils and Heathens alike..She'll eat you alive.~*
MAF R6 Swap-working on #3
Psych Swap-delayed
My Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladysepulchre
Personal swap hiatus due to health issues.
Right behind you.

Attention span of a caffeinated gerbil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010 08:54:42 AM »

If I were converting it to a cake recipe (something I do all the time, my best muffin recipe is actually a cake recipe, and my best cake is an altered muffin recipe Cheesy), I would forgo melting the butter. Instead, cream the butter and the sugar together (soften the butter to just slightly cooler than room temp and beat the two until light and fluffy). You could try adding an egg, but if you do I'd probably scale back the milk by cracking the egg into a 1 c measuring cup and then adding the milk to reach the 1 c line. One other thing. I find it a little odd that the cake/muffin doesn't call for vanilla, a pretty common French toast ingredient. You could try adding  1-1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract to it also.

As for the crumble, you would typically make it using sugar (typically brown sugar), spices (cinnamon would be the thing here) and very cold butter (cut the butter into the sugar and sprinkle on top of the muffins/cake while it's still cold). You could even add a Tbsp or 2 of flour if you want it a little denser.

I found this recipe for French toast bacon muffins (you can certainly omit the bacon): http://lifewithcake.com/2009/05/french-toast-and-bacon-cupcakes/. It calls for cake flour, which most people don't have on hand but which you can make using regular all purpose flour and a little cornstarch. This would translate very well into a cake.

50 Projects in 2011!
Project on Every Board, Craftalong for ME, Fake Swapping Craft-along, Patchwork Sampler Blanket knitalong
hm. i'll fill this in when i think of something clever...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010 09:05:35 AM »

Lol, the only way I was thinking of crumbling french toast would be drying it and using it like croutons, but that doesn't sound too appetizing. And I can't imagine using bacon with a sweet muffin.

Oooh, yeah. Vanilla extract. That should be a key ingredient.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Ways to Style Your Midi Skirt
DIY: Make a Slogan T-Shirt
Gwen Stefani Makes the Denim Vest Work for Winter
Is Kim Kardashian Running Out of Clothes?
How to Wear the Military Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...