A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some bags I've made -- long post and picture heavy  (Read 1495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kumarp
« on: April 22, 2005 08:59:46 AM »

Hi everyone!
I finally took some pictures of projects I've been working on, so I thought I'd share them. I'm new to sewing -- had a sewing machine for years, but it wasn't until I found craftster that I was inspired to use it!

Below are photos of some bags and purses that I've made...each one has at least one big "oops!" that I discovered after I made it, but I guess that's how I'll learn.

my first creation! I made it out of an old women's blazer that I bought at a thrift store. It is made from the front pockets...they are off center, oops!

no strap (because I cut it off for another bag.) Just a little pouch, kinda floppy -- this was before I discovered interfacing   Smiley

This one has interfacing, but is kind of messy. I made it out of a wool dress and the lining from a blazer.

This one is from a pretty pink fabric that I just couldn't resist at JoAnn fabrics. My first attempt at a jordy with a flap...I cut the flap too small...oops! The inside is lined with grey wool (even though it looks black in the photo) from an old skirt.

For this one I cut up a huge wool coat that I found (yet again) at a thrift store. I used the lining of the coat to line the bag. Black grosgrain ribbon for the straps. My first attempt at a tote bag; I put the straps on wrong (they were crossing the opening of the bag...can't really explain it, but it was a big OOPS!) so I had to cut them and sew them together again...ah, live and learn. 

This is probably my favorite so far..just a simple tote bag. In my rush to finish it, so I could show it off, I sewed on one of the straps backwards. Oops!!!

Padded little bag for fragile things...I just used polyfill to stuff it.

Anyway, sorry for the super long post! Just wanted to share my creations!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011 03:53:35 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amemm
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005 09:54:03 AM »

Nice bags!  I love the idea of using the tweedy fabric from clothing to make them - very cool.

Haven't tried it yet, but there are a couple of old jackets in the closet that I can use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strangey
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005 10:49:05 AM »

I think you're doing great on your bags. I especially like the striped one with the red checked lining. very pretty. I made a lot of the same mistakes you did when I started making bags -- not using interfacing, sewing things on backwards  Cheesy and all of that. The one thing I cannot seem to stop doing wrong is forgetting to put a pocket inside my bags -- I don't use those tiny pockets in purses and I just forget. But EVERYONE I show my purses to says "it needs a pocket inside", so I add them now. And boy does it tick me off when I forget! LOL

Anyway, keep sewing and I will bet you'll be selling purses before long! They're adorable and you have great ideas. I like reusing fabrics from the thrift store too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005 11:17:52 AM »

ooo , I like that yellow one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005 01:48:18 PM »

you did a great job using up old fabrics! Most of those old clothes would end up in a landfil somewhere! I like to recycle clothes like this too! I look or extra large clothes with great fabrics! It's fun and cheap. It is always great to learn to sew on fabrics that didn't cost a lot because if you cut wrong on your expensive material you would likely give up and not continue to sew due to the cost factor! So while learning this is the way to go!
I actually like the off center pocket on your first bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kumarp
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005 04:22:22 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement! I'm definitely enjoying usng fabrics that I cut from old thrift store clothes...I was able to get SO MUCH for SO CHEAP a few weeks ago because the thrift store was doing a $2 bag sale to get rid of winter clothes. Yay for recycling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muchachaK
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005 12:10:38 AM »

What lovely care and detail you put into your bags...fun to see a whole body of work Smiley  I really love the last one...the colors, pattern, shape, everything...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
jasminemuslimgirl
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005 08:50:54 PM »

i like the one in the 5th and 6th pics.  they are supercute.  i wanna one now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

will personal swap for handmade journals or stamps or stamp supplies
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 4 Best Products for Contouring
How to Choose the Best Makeup Primer for Your Skin
Introducing Sona Gasparian - Elevator Makeover’s New Makeup Expert
Elevator Makeovers Season 3 Trailer
Why Your Dry Nails Are Peeling, and How to Fix Them!
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...