A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: This sweater needs to be a pillow  (Read 811 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OhThat
« on: November 17, 2009 09:55:20 AM »

This is a favorite sweater sent to me by a friend.  She LOVES it, but her snooty friends make fun of her for wearing it (it's just for Christmas, no other time).  I offered to make it into a pillow for her and it just arrived today.  However, the cat is not centered, it's close to the top and I want to make a really cool pillow for her.  I can't knit, only sew.  The cat must be included.  Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mafiosagrrl

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009 10:16:28 AM »

What I would do is- use the backside as a large front or back panel.  Cut the cat out in a square, large enough to applique onto the pillow.  Then combine the bottom portion of the front side with pieces of the sleeve, like panels.  So one side of the pillow is one solid square and the alternating side is a square of equal side made up of 3 or 4 vertical or horizontal pieces.  As long as the panel pieces are equal width it will look balanced.
Or you could up-cycle another sweater to have two squares of the same size. If the up-cycled sweater was a contrasting color, it might add a nice touch to the panel idea on the back.  Like black and red striped or something like that.  Hopefully this helps you!  Good luck, show us the pillow when you're done! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary". --Mary  Kurtz,  "The Needlework Times" April, 1978.

http://mafiosagrrl.blogspot.com/
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009 10:49:48 AM »

That's a great suggestion!  I sat here thinking about it and couldn't come up with anything, so you rock M, lol.

I think using the cat as an applique is the only way you're going to be able to use it in the spot you want on the pillow.  And the stripey idea sounds adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
huxtabio
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009 12:06:41 PM »

I concur with the above posts. It would be cute to pull in colors from the cat (the striped tail, or the green ornament, etc.) as the side panels. Boo on those snooty friends for making fun of her sweater!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiferdee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010 06:36:38 PM »

Here's a thought, cut it for the pillow, and use some sew on lettering, or something like it, to have a little wording under the cat!  There are several ways to do it, an you could put her name, the name of her cat, even just a little appliqu design, etc.  That will fill up the space at the bottom, and the sweater is mainly intact!!!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God is good, all the time!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
Multiple Exposures in Macro Photography
Using the Right Lens For a Close-Up
Using Artificial Light in Nighttime Photography
Indoors Light Painting
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...