A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mother's day gift idea -- drawstring bags for travel!  (Read 2518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kumarp
« on: April 28, 2005 02:28:04 PM »

So I have an idea for a mother's day gift..and then a question about it :-)

First the idea: I want to sew a set of drawstring bags that my mom can use when she travels. Like one for lingerie, one for socks, one for other small items that get lost in a suitcase. I'm thinking of making a set of three, each with a different, but coordinating fabric -- probably cotton; it's easiest to work with. Oh, and maybe one for dirty clothes. Each would be a different fabric so it's easy to find the one you want in a suitcase. So there's the idea. If I could embroider, I'd add a monogram or a little graphic of what the bag is for...but I can't, so I'll have to settle for fabulous fabric. :-)

Now here's the question: I know how to make a simple bag, but I always get messed up on the top -- how can I do a drawstring opening neatly??  All I can think of is to fold down the top of the bag about an inch or so, and sew that all the way around, which leaves a "tube" of fabric to pull the drawstring through. But what about the opening to the tube? In the past I've just poked a little hole in the fabric for the drawstring to come in/out...but that is messy. Does that make sense? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'll try to post pictures of what I come up with eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005 02:42:51 PM »

I actually made some of these for myself for the exact same use when I traveled alot  Grin.  I don't know if I had the best method, but I'll try to explain what I did.  For mine I used the method of just cutting one big rectangle the size I wanted and folded it so I only had a seam down one side.  But to make the drawstring nice, first I hemmed the edges that would be the sides where the string would come through.  Then I folded down the top and sewed the "tube".  Then my last step was to sew the bottom of the bag and up the side just to the bottom of my "tube."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starla

It's a piece of cake!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005 02:16:00 AM »

I have no idea how to make a drawstring bag, but I do have a suggestion for putting a monogram on your bags if you haven't made them yet.  If you make them out of cotton you can stencil them.  A monogram would be a pretty easy stencil and I think would make it very unique.  Or you could try the iron on transfers depending on the fabric you choose.  That way you could add little pictures too.  Lot easier than embroidery.  Just my opinion though.

I think your mom's day idea is really cute, by the way.  I'm sure it's going to be a hit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auntiem
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005 02:24:41 PM »

For my drawstring bags I make two button holes vertically about an inch apart then sew the tube. If you hate making button holes you could use two grommets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neverendingjourney
I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return please tell me to wait. Thank you!

If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005 02:31:05 PM »

http://www.webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/drawstringinstructions.htm

See if that helps.... i just printed off these directions last night put them in my "to do" folder and saw your postings and thought i needed to share this with you. let me know what you think??
darla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day & may their arms be too short to scratch
silloh_77

If anyone needs me: I'll be at the thrift store...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005 10:10:02 AM »

I'm just posting to this thread because I don't know the answer, either. I've made some bags for holding Christmas gifts before, and they always look a little sloppy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005 02:05:35 AM »

I was going to suggest you put two grommets in the bag before you sew the tube part. This is how I do it, and it always looks good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Hair Color
How to Section the Hair to Prepare for Coloring
How to Color Grey Hair and Make it Shine
Learn Different Ways to Style Short Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Audrey Hepburn Crop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...