A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Leviathan Strikes"  (Read 353 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bitmatt
« on: November 17, 2009 07:00:05 AM »

The great whale emerges from the deep… I wanted to strike a mythical tone with this one - as if it were the picture cunjured up after overhearing a sailer’s strange tale in some firelit tavern.

I love digital painting. It's a medium I feel confident with. But I'm always frustrated that when I produce prints, they don't have that tactile aspect like a painting. So recently, I've begun a new line of pictures where I start out with a digital painting, and then I continue to work with it using acrylic and egg tempera.

I'm a big fan of medieval art, and although my style probably doesn't reflect it, I am always inspired by the time-worn textures that old paintings and murals have.

So this is stage one of a project I'm starting. Very simply, I've just textured one of my prints to bring out the light with brushstrokes. The egg tempera will begin to crackle slightly with time - which is exactly the effect I am looking for.

In time, I hope to do more than just texture the pieces. I want to be able to apply pigments and glazes. But so far, any attempt has just ruined the image underneath.

Here goes anyway. Here's a picture called "Leviathan Strikes". It started life as a pen and ink sketch, that I scanned into the computer to digitally paint it. Then I applied acrylic and egg tempera for that textural look:

Click links for pictures (I've not made 10 posts yet, so it won't let me show the pics within the body of the post):

Great Whale 1

Great Whale 2

Great Whale 3
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009 07:01:48 AM by bitmatt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fag del Arte

I'm just a walking, talking bag of guts and stuff

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009 03:13:33 PM »

This is such an awesome piece! before I read your description my assumption that this was all traditional media. I couldn't agree with you more on the computer to print output, sometimes I feel like something is lost along the way. However, I don't think this piece has lost anything! It's great!
Thanks for shots 2 & 3. They really show that nice texture your were talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bitmatt
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009 04:46:30 AM »

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I experimented on a new piece by adding some glazes and highlights this morning, and (to my surprise) I didn't mess it up this time. So there's hope yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009 08:32:35 PM »

i really like this. texture is a huge part of art for me, it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Camera Settings For Panoramic Stitching
In choosing a Digital Camera do Megapixels matter?
Photography and the Green Screen
Motion Capture Texturing Tutorial
3D Editing Systems Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...