A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 7 weeks pregnant  (Read 1634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BonBabbu

Times are hard for dreamers

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2009 12:57:38 AM »

Hi!

Yesterday we got the exciting news that there will be a baby in the family soon, my sister in law is pregnant, she's 7 weeks far.
A couple of weeks ago we decided to have a little family gathering on 5 dec. and to buy little gifts for everyone and a big ( +-25 dollar) gift for 1 person. We wrote all our names on a piece of paper and without looking we took a name.
Now here's my question: I have my sister in law and I was wondering what I could buy/make her, would she prefer something for the baby or something for herself? I already tought about 'pregnancy in a box' or something like that so I could put all kind of things a pregnant woman needs in a beautiful box but I haven't been pregnant yet so I don't know what a pregnant woman needs. Does anyone have some advice? I think chocolate and tea will be a big hit but what else?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!
http://www.wists.com/bonbabbu
wicca_faerie
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009 09:50:58 PM »

Hi,

If it were me that was pregnant, I would want something for me, not something pregnancy related. Especially since she is only 7 weeks along. So I would just get her something I know she'd like, not neccessarily pregnancy related.

When my step mum was pregnant, she got a bit upset on her birthday because nearly everyone got her baby/pregnancy stuff, and she felt like she was being thought of as an incubator rather than a person.

Of course everyone is different, so she might love something pregnancy related.  Just remember though you can craft lots of stuff later on for her and the baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry, My attention span isn't ver... *gasp* shiny thing!
saucyseamstress
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009 06:29:16 PM »

I think something for the mom would be great.  Some places do special massage for pregnant women.  If she has aches or anything this would be nice.  Maybe also a special picture frame (I like homemade the best) for ultrasound pictures.  I heard that they degrade if left on the original paper, so make a copy.

Do check in on her after the baby comes...It was a real let down to have everyone ask how you're doing for 40 weeks and then drop you like a hot potato when the baby comes.  That came out kind of bitter...I just mean fawn over both her and the little one.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009 07:45:18 PM »

Very nice of you to get her a gift, but remember that most pregnant women don't consume caffeine.  Tea and chocolate can gave caffeine in them. Smiley

The idea of the pregnancy massage is great!  Love the idea of a mani/pedi coupon too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annieandchiquita
Crafting Addict; no speciality

Darn picture :(

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009 08:09:34 PM »

Smiley I'm 37 weeks now, so have had plenty of time to think this one over...
Pregnancy massage voucher would be awesome, I had one at 28 weeks and am kind of wondering if I can fit one in again between now and the time my little girl is born Cheesy
If you really wanna go with the pregnancy in a box concept (which I love, but might not be for everyone), some antacids for when she's much further on, a stress ball (not always such a blissful time) and caffeine free tea! I find I love tea while I'm pregnant, but am trying not to have too much, caffeine free is perfect!
Remember to stay away from too many essential oils too, lavender especially is recommended against in early pregnancy, I'm pretty sure chamomile is ok in small doses though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wifey
Mama
Crafter Cheesy

Currently swapping -
Back to Hogwarts: Sent!

Breathless Waiting for Breaking Dawn: Planning, purchasing and crafting Cheesy Not a minute too late, right? Such a last minute crafter...
hugarobot
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009 08:01:56 AM »

If you decide to go the Pregs in a Box route, here are some other great things to put in a box for her:
* peppermints or crystallized ginger, both of which are great for nausea
*belly balm:personally, I don't like how strong of a smell cocoa butter has, but I LOVE the Burt's Bees brand (I'm 31 weeks), I think the product is just called Mama Bee belly balm?
*Oatmeal bath or a nice bubble bath
*You could make her a little card of different, cool baby websites, like babycenter.com or fitpregnancy.com...there are tons of sites that send weekly email updates monitoring your progress & telling you what's happening in there! They're really fun and interesting, I especially like babycenter.com
*A pregnancy book--not so much What to Expect though. I have that one and Pregnancy for Dummies and like PfD better, I've also had Dr. Sears books recommended to me and when my bff got knocked up a few months after me, I got her The Baby Center Essential Guide to Pregnancy & Birth, which she's said she liked as well.
*Really soft, comfy socks. Sounds lame but seriously isn't. OR my friend got me these little footie slippers that have like, built in cooling gel insoles? I've seen em at Kohl's and LOVE mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schtankylu
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009 04:48:18 PM »

How was your gathering? What did you end up making?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010 11:48:35 AM »

I know this is a really old thread, but I had an idea to add in case anyone else is searching for something similar. 

One thing that may be really appreciate is a piece of maternity clothing or a giftcard for a maternity store that is similar to her regular style.  I know most women don't want to spend a lot on maternity clothes but I'm sure they all appreciate a few nicer things. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Megan Moore: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
Marianna Hewitt: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Marianna Hewitt: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Serein Wu: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Miranda Mendoza: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...