A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pimp My Barbie Ride - Oh Yeah! (Warning - pict heavy)  (Read 1210 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hobijack
« on: November 02, 2009 10:33:58 PM »

Hi there,

Just wanted to share my latest craft project which was a gift to my younger sis.

You see, we had many Barbies when we were kids and had some good memories. So, as an early b-day gift to my sis who happens to be 30 years old, I decided to gift her with a refurbished Barbie car we had that was in sad, sad shape after so many years in storage.

Original pict of Barbie corvette (missing windowshield):

Barbie car disassembled:

Barbie car discoloration after more than +20 years. You can still see the original pink in some areas where the rest faded into some wierd orange flesh color.

Barbie car parts spraypainted a metallic chrome:

Shot of Barbie car with new spraypainted body along with octopus stencil from Stencilry using a paint marker pen.

Interior shot of Barbie car. Tied black elastic to replace seat belt straps. Also glued piece of Google map where a radio sticker used to be to bring the car up to the 21st century (new GPS system). Also glued an old Barbie plastic radio and 80s cell phone to pass as a satellite phone. Steering wheel was replaced by a model car rim tire bought at a hobby shop.

Stuck on red rhinestone stickers to replace stickers for backlights. I decided to leave the Barbie sticker license plate because, well, it's still a Barbie car, right?

Barbies ready to ride their pimped out car. I put an old plastic hairdryer onto 1 Barbie's hand to make it look as though she's carrying a sidearm like a Mattel version of a Charlie's Angel but my husband told me that it still looks like a hairdryer!

I had a lot of fun doing this project despite the fumes of spraypainting outside. My sis loves it and promptly took it home after I showed it to her.

Please enjoy looking and should you have a project similar to this one, I would love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 12:36:48 AM »

Cheesy That's awesome, what a great re-vamp of Barbie's sad old clunker.  I love the interior view, the GPS is awesome. 
Now you've got me seriously thinking about combing local thrift shops for a car so I can make one for my dear friend who happens to collect and customize Barbies.  I wish my old beach Jeep hadn't gone missing at least 12 years ago, but then again, maybe its still in my dad's garage...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009 07:32:48 AM »

That is awesome!!
Maybe if you paint the hair dryer black, it will look more like a gun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
practicecactus
Five Star Ranting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009 01:00:49 PM »

Fantasic stuff!
Now Barbie needs a leather jacket and black shades.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"She's Crafty, and she's just my type.."
My DeviantArt
My Livejournal
hobijack
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009 07:03:47 PM »

Thanks for the comments! Alas, too late in painting the hairdryer. It and the barbies have been squired away by my sis along with the car. Had I had more time, I would have tried to make the Barbies more goth-like, clothes and all. Maybe something along the lines of Canary Barbie.

I forgot to mention that the project took me alot longer than it should have. First, I didn't check when disassembling that not all screws were out and when I tried prying off the top from the bottom, I broke part of the chassis and had to glue it back on because the plastic was kind of brittle. Then I had to sand the dried glue down with fine sandpaper.

Not being experienced in spraypainting, I also had to sand down the car body again because the paint cracked in a few places where I spraypainted too close.

Also, the picts make the octopus stencil look smoother than IRL. It was a pain in the patootie cutting out the shape and then tracing the image with a paint marker pen. In any case, I would definitely do something like this again. It was worth all the effort.

My next project is to see if my husband and I can make a modular Barbie house from scratch for our niece. My sis decided she didn't want some Barbie accessories to keep so I plan on refurbishing some old Barbie furniture. I'll post picts when they're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JonBrown1975
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009 12:00:53 AM »

My girlfriend resprayed her sister's Barbie (actually, it might have been Sindy) car white for an animation she was doing. Her sister wasn't best pleased, even though it had been 20 years since she last played with it. Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Subtle Colors to a Black and White Image in Lightroom
Photoshop Curves Tutorial - Part 2
How to Add Reflections in Photoshop
How to Create Actions in Photoshop
How to Backup Your Photos on Location
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...