A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Windowed Door Covers? Ideas? I need some privacy!  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lemannink
« on: June 13, 2009 07:57:29 AM »

So the door to my bedroom used to be a door to a sun-porch. It has window panes in it, and doesn't do much for privacy. Right now I have a poster pinned across them, but its really not too attractive looking.  The panes are around 16 by 8 inches and there's maybe 18 of them.

I want a creative Idea to cover them up with, what materials would you suggest I use? I don't think my mother would like me to put anything permanent on them either. So paint isn't an option really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfaerie
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009 11:32:58 PM »

Hang a curtain from the inside side of the bedroom door.  Kind of like this http://www.frenchdoorcurtaincompany.com/frdotrst.html but in something that goes with your decor.  It'd be fun to find a really cool print, simply sew (or use duct tape) to make a tube on each end that goes through the rods.  Really cheap, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
tomico
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009 02:08:46 PM »

You could get the vinyl appliques for windows to allow light in and not be so visible. They aren't perminent. They look a bit like stained glass windows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009 08:49:20 PM »

I got some frosted vinyl window film from either Ace or True Value Hardware, I don't remember which, in a pastel stained glass pattern. I think the brand name was Fablon, it's European. I had looked at the home improvement stores and found their products to be too expensive for me. This goes on like frosted contact paper but comes in lots of different patterns. I have it on my front door and my bathroom window.

If you happen to be broke like me, you could dilute some leftover flat or semigloss acrylic wall paint to half strength with water and dab it onto your window panes with a sponge, brush, or rag. (I suppose any acrylic paint would work, maybe craft paint.) It will let light in but obscure ability to see in. I've done this on front doors before, scraping a peephole into the paint after it dried. The great thing is, it washes or scrapes right off. Depending on your application method, you may need to go over it a second time for maximum privacy. Just be neat in your application so your windows look frosted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

b.c.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009 03:20:13 PM »

I got some frosted vinyl window film from either Ace or True Value Hardware, I don't remember which, in a pastel stained glass pattern. I think the brand name was Fablon, it's European. I had looked at the home improvement stores and found their products to be too expensive for me. This goes on like frosted contact paper but comes in lots of different patterns. I have it on my front door and my bathroom window.

If you happen to be broke like me, you could dilute some leftover flat or semigloss acrylic wall paint to half strength with water and dab it onto your window panes with a sponge, brush, or rag. (I suppose any acrylic paint would work, maybe craft paint.) It will let light in but obscure ability to see in. I've done this on front doors before, scraping a peephole into the paint after it dried. The great thing is, it washes or scrapes right off. Depending on your application method, you may need to go over it a second time for maximum privacy. Just be neat in your application so your windows look frosted.

thank you so much for sharing this! it was just what i was looking for Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dance like it hurts. Love like you need the money. Work when people are watching.
enchantedchaos
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009 06:09:10 PM »

I had the same problem with my front door and we are renting so I couldn't do anything too permanent so for the longest time we just had a curtain up but my 2 year old would pull it down and it didn't look so great (the curtain didn't match anything we had). So one day I was at our friendly neighborhood Dollar Tree and I spotted some tissue paper that matched our couches and grabbed it. I came home, took the frame for the window down and used Elmer's Spray Adhesive to put in the 3 different colors of paper. Then I let it dry and put it back in the door. Now it looks like stained glass and when I move, I can just take it down and wash the glass.  Hope this helps!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redcleo
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009 06:36:04 AM »

Ikea has some window-cling stuff that works pretty good. I have used it on bathroom windows and it offers privacy while letting light in. A roll of it covers approximately one "averaged-sized" window, and is $5.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30079228

Do a bit of math and figure out how many of your panels you can fit onto a roll. You might be able to get quite a few out of each roll (it is 59" x 20").

The best thing (other than the price) is that it is applied with only soapy water, so there is no residue to clean up when you remove it. Your mom probably wouldn't have a problem with it in that case.

OK, looking back I see that you wanted creative ideas, and my idea isn't very creative. Perhaps the information will be useful anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a House 1 - The Brief
Understanding Form Follows Function in Architecture
Timber Extension Project
Windows as Mediators
Understanding Form in Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...