A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first pet related post!!! Dog bed for Leo and a coat for Kyoko  (Read 2583 times)
Tags for this thread: dog_bed , holiday_gifts_for_pets  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: November 15, 2009 03:04:07 PM »

^_^ Today I was actually going to work on fixing a coat I inherited from my grandmother, but in the end I got sidetracked by two other projects: (crappy cell phone pics, sorry. I't also dark, so they look even more grainier that they would be if taken in daylight!)

I had been looking for a larger cushion for the dog we adopted from a rescue shelter last month: we had bought him a pretty big one, but unlike my other dog he sleeps quite sprawled out, and the cushion seemed small for him. So instead of doing a simple cushion, I made a completely removable cover for a mattress I pieced together from two different thicknesses of foam sheets, with a tubular cushion going all around it (detachable from the bed and with a removable cover as well - everything is washable!) kept in place by some fabric cuffs... it is WAY bigger  than the previous one and cost probably 1/5th of what I would have paid a same size one in a shop, and is in a better color than the crazy ones on sale (which would be horrid against my furniture).
I'm really proud of this one and he seems to enjoy it!

With part of the same cushion fabric (which is padded and lovely) I also made:

a coat for my other dog, who tends to feel cold and refuses to go out in winter. I modeled it off one of the coats of a former dog we had, it keeps both her back and chest warm, and has a large "buttonhole" on the back to pass through the rings of the harness I use to take her on walks, which has to be put on before the coat...
It has two fasteners, both around the end of her ribcage and in the tiny part of her "waist", to keep it all from moving around too much. She HATES when I try to take her picture so the one of her wearing it is really bad, but is the only one I managed to take.... but away from the camera, she seemed at ease in her coat!

totally gratuitous pc of my mom and her cat Michelle, "helping" her at the computer while I worked at the sewing machine...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009 03:04:49 PM by alhrayth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
victrola
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009 03:40:50 PM »

I love both projects! They look like they will be cozy for the winter!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshyn_stef
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009 04:08:42 PM »

Fabulous!  I would love some more info on how you attached the tube cushion to the main body.  What are fabric cuffs?

Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FeetPrints.net ...my crafts, my family, my life

Handmade gifts of Aloha ~ www.AlohaDesigns.net
alhrayth
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009 04:42:56 PM »

Ehm... it's actually a term I invented on the spot because I couldn't think of a proper translation... *blush*
they'r ebasically just loops of fabric... the shape from above should look like this:

the mattress cover is sewn on three sides and open in the back for ease of removal of the mattress when a wash is needed, and it's only tied shut by more little laces not pictured

the tube thing is closed at the two extremities by two drawstrings which I'm planning to have to tie each one to an additional loops which I will add to the front of the mattress, one towards each corner, to stop the tubular thing to point the ends outside...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshyn_stef
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009 04:58:48 PM »

Brilliant, I love it!  Thanks for the explanation.  I've been looking for a way to attach a tube but make the bed cover washable.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FeetPrints.net ...my crafts, my family, my life

Handmade gifts of Aloha ~ www.AlohaDesigns.net
alhrayth
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009 05:07:28 PM »

So far it seems the dog likes it, and it was quite easy to assemble once I decided what to do, how to obtain a completely removable cover that could be washed easily - this way of attaching the tube to the mattress seems good, as its quite easy to slip the tube in place passing through the loops, and it seems to stay in place well even with the dog's weight against it. I was worried about the back side left open (well, hemmed of course and the loops are attached to this hem and only tied instead of sewn), but I did not want to bother with a zipper so I tried, and it seems to be working well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twiterpert
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009 08:18:38 PM »

The bed looks great- I know how hard it can be to find a nice (affordable!) bed for large dogs. Hooray for shelter dogs too!

The coat is awesome, I love how it covers the chest too. Quick question on how it fastens? Do the waist closures connect at the top of the back? Is this with a button (though I'm thinking velcro would work too)? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
alhrayth
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009 04:08:25 AM »

the dog coat is closed by a couple of pieces of former shoelaces at the pointed ends of the chest part, and towards the end of the back part, wrapping around the dog sides and tying at the top... like this:

I'm not a fan of buttons.. and I had no velcro at home, so, not wanting to have a half finished project until I could buy some, I went with lacing up with those shoelaces...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twiterpert
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009 06:15:45 PM »

Ah, thanks for the pictures! This is a much better design then the ones that I see in stores-those either don't cover them up well or they are a nightmare to get on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
carirae
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009 06:06:16 AM »

both of those are really nice! good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cohabitate and Live Longer
Long-Term Effects of the Airport Backscatter
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...