A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mibismogger
« on: November 15, 2009 12:04:08 AM »

I'm in a serious panic right now, my fiance didnt have much money when he proposed but he got me a ring all the same. Its not that fancy but I still love it, and the rock (not a diamond thank god) just fell out. I just spent the last hour crawling across the floor in search of it but I have no idea where it went.

So first off I need to know what to do to find a decent replacement (it was some pearly stuff before that I think may of been mother of pearl and was a small, flat oval)

And second, I cant afford to go to a jewlery repair place, so how do I fix it on my own. It looks like it was held in place with some sort of glue the first time around. The band is silver and there is an indentation for the rock to sit in.

here are a few horrible web cam pictures I just took. Now if I can get any advice I'll be eternally grateful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009 02:50:14 AM »

measure it, measure it again, then have someone else measure it

once you are SURE of the size gem you need, google that size + online retail

you should be able to find something (it looks like standard kinda ring blank)

i would use E6000 to keep it in place, but with all glued jewelry, there is a chance it will fall out again someday, just remember how to fix it and you should be fine!

ETA:
related and adorable story about my wedding ring (i got it after we had been married for over a year, so i dont consider it an engagement ring)

24 yrs ago my hubby's stepdad proposed to his mom with the diamond i now wear. about 14 yrs ago it fell out while she was cleaning, and when she didnt find it, they simply replaced the whole ring. about  9 yrs ago she found it again, while cleaning...in the SHOWER....the odds of that have to be astronomical. his stepdad wore it in his ear for a couple years, and when we got married they had it turned into a ring for me. right now its in the pawnshop, and i miss it all the time....it is a very special diamond, and although i am getting a new setting for our 10 yr wedding anniversary, that gem has to be apart of it Smiley
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009 02:55:00 AM by MissDisney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
tabooCREATIONS
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009 08:28:59 AM »

As MissDisney said, e6000 should work with keeping the stone  in place one you have found a replacement.  Be sure that any residue from the last adhesive is gone.  Using a solvent called "Attack" is the best as it disolves anything, but most people don't have that on had.  GooGone may work, or even using Acetone, this will allow the new adhesive to adhere to the surface of the metal and the stone. 

After using any solvent to remove the old adhesive,  us an old tooth brush, and clean the ring, especially where the stone will sit.  Any solvent residue may prevent the new adhesive to stick properly.  I like using a cleaning solution of ammonia, dish soap and hot water for cleaning all of my jewelry.  Also make sure the ring is absolutely dry.

As for replacing the stone, some bead stores sell cabochon stones.  I would recommend going to and fitting a stone in place.  Depending on what kind of stone, the oval shape will vary from stone to stone.  Most cabochon measurements are taken WxL,  especially for ovals like your setting is.  You would probably want to get a stone that is opaque so the glue will not appear through the stone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettysoldier77

Dayman, aa-Aaahhhh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009 02:04:33 PM »

Did the stone look anything like this? Its an opal. There is a jewelers at my local mall who gave me a stone free when a similar thing happened to me. They just kept loose stones in a shoe box. Try explaining your situation, its worth a shot.

http://www.gemfix.com/opal1.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mibismogger
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009 02:46:49 PM »

Did the stone look anything like this? Its an opal. There is a jewelers at my local mall who gave me a stone free when a similar thing happened to me. They just kept loose stones in a shoe box. Try explaining your situation, its worth a shot.

http://www.gemfix.com/opal1.html

I dont think it was an opal (mainly based on how little it cost) It looked similar (and I love opals so I'd love to replace it with one), but it was possibly just a white rock that someone found on the ground and thought was pretty. It didnt have multiple colors in it like opals typically do, it reflected basically any color that it was put near it.

I'm also not sure exactly how to measure the setting, its not even a centimeter, its about the same width as my pinky nail but I'm not sure thats an actual unit of measurement. For the moment I've put it on a necklace so its less obviously messed up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009 05:54:02 PM »

if it was flat then it was most likely mother of pearl and won't be at all expensive to replace. just measure the setting and hit up either a shop in town or online.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it probably wasn't an opal; those are worth way too much for any jeweler to want to glue them into their setting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.etsy.com >>
effendog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009 10:33:42 PM »

If you don't have a set of calipers, you should be able to take it to a jewelry shop or a bead shop and ask them if they'd be able to measure it for you. I'm sure they wouldn't charge you just to measure it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty quote*
tabooCREATIONS
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009 07:36:36 PM »

You want to measure in millimeters.  If possible, go to the jewelry shop where your fiance got the ring.  Most of the time jewelers will fix the issues at at no to little  cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mibismogger
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009 07:40:51 PM »

It wasnt at a store specifically dedicated to jewlery, they get their stuff shipped in so I doubt they'd fix it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009 06:28:48 AM »

The ring repair and/or measure does not have to be at the store where the ring was purchased.  I would take it to the nearest jewelry store you know. At the very least they can measure the setting so you know what size cabachon/stone to buy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NicklePickers
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013 05:48:59 PM »

I realize this thread is pretty old, but if you're reading this then maybe a post on it will work. I'm trying to affix a gemstone to a piece of fired clay. It'll be small (ie, light) but I'd like it to be sturdy. The posters here seem to think e6000 will do the trick, but one poster mentioned that no one would glue an opal because it's too valuable. So my question is, how WOULD they affix that more valuable stone if not with glue? Can you solder it somehow?

Thanks all,
Abe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mibismogger
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013 11:20:09 PM »

My ex fiance and I actually called things off a while ago and I threw the ring in a fire for dramatic effect, but I've been trying to learn to make rings with gemstones, so if you can manage to use clay to make it'd work I'd love it if you let me know, or if you find anything else that works out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013 05:29:32 PM »

If you're looking to glue one thing to another thing... there's a great website called thistothat.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Moss Reunites with Topshop for New Collaboration
Celeb Style Secrets: Nina Dobrev
How To Research Sizes Online From Michelle Madhok
Gwen Stefani: Modern Style Icon
The Top 10 Buzziest Moments of Paris Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...