A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help identifying this Brother sewing machine  (Read 4296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chezlin
« on: November 13, 2009 12:40:57 AM »

My boyfriend and I went to the thrift store to buy a cassette or two for around 50 cents each, and naturally we brought home a sewing machine.  After getting home we tested it out and it works perfectly, but we can't find what model this thing is.  There's no model number on it, just a serial number.  The only other writing on it is the "Brother", "synchro-matic" and  "Deluxe Precision built Made in Japan" on the side and "Precision sewing machine" on the top.

Here's a picture:

We got it for a whopping $20 for the sewing table and machine Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009 04:26:08 AM »

That's a standard, class 15, HA-1 Japanese made machine.  There will probably be some numbers stamped into the casting, but it's doubtful that any will be the "model number".

Here is more information about these types of machines along with a free manual:

Review of The HA-1, Class 15 Clone
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
TDoG-Chad
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013 01:37:44 PM »

Will you please override my limited 10 posts before unloading images ? I have a brother sewing machine almost looks like that and wanted to know identification of this extremely heavy probably all steel brother machine ... I am extremely fascinating on this particular sewing machine ... whoot !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013 08:13:32 PM »

Will you please override my limited 10 posts before unloading images ? I have a brother sewing machine almost looks like that and wanted to know identification of this extremely heavy probably all steel brother machine ... I am extremely fascinating on this particular sewing machine ... whoot !

Go ahead and upload the images to your gallery here and I can insert them for you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
TDoG-Chad
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013 09:38:33 PM »

http://chadwebb.info/upload/

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013 08:52:32 PM »

Here you go. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
stillatthetop
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013 10:26:40 PM »

Hmmm. I have one similar. Let me go track it down.

Here is a link for many of them: https://www.google.com/search?q=brother%20sewing%20machines%20antiques&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.58187178,d.eW0,pv.xjs.s.en_US.EeLgqkzqnSg.O&biw=755&bih=727&wrapid=tlif138769205385921&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GIC2UrrFBIXMkAe9ioGoCg

They are power horse/work horses! You got a great score there. There is a model number located on a plate somewhere. Sometimes located underneath, or in the upper top portion if you lift or remove it. I don't see it underneath the machine, so it might be on that top part, if you remove the top screws it will just lift off. There is probably a panel there. You won't mess anything up, don't worry. As long as you don't touch anything in there.

What is it that you need help knowing about it, other than the model? PM me, and I can help. I have five different machines, and worked for a fabric shop where we did repairs. I can time my needle bars on all of my machines.

Brother probably has a webpage where you could upload the photo, and they can help identify it for you correctly. If you can't find the plate with the ID information.

Another site you might find helpful: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-collectibles/vintage-brother-sewing-machine-212788.html

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
TDoG-Chad
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013 10:11:58 AM »

I googled more today and found out that it could be leather sewing machine but more like loockstitch sewing machine because the shape/body of the sewing machine is consistency.

example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SERVICED-BROTHER-B755-Mk3-LOCKSTITCH-SEWING-MACHINE-/350391937057

I still learning the sewing terminology ... feel free to teach me correctly Smiley

I am getting closer ... the bottom is almost EXACTLY and mine is FAR better shape than this webster.

http://sew-what-now.blogspot.com/2009/11/1956-webster-brother-sewing-machine.html

at the bottom of that website said :

On a side note this machine is listed as costing $199.50 new in 1956 which today, according to a inflation calculator would be $1,585.56 today. This was not a cheap machine. Also this machine was badged with many names, including Brother.

I googled "brother oiled sewing machine"

Found another word :
Brother Window-Matic
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013 10:40:53 AM by TDoG-Chad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TDoG-Chad
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013 11:16:14 AM »

I was so pissed off to find out what is this machine so i took my flashlight and shined all off the sewing machine inside and outside like a detective looking for one tiny evidence beside J- C 1 at the bottom of the base ... there is only 1 sticker on it and I did not peel that off ...

... BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://chadwebb.info/upload/IMG_9167.JPG

BRADFORD
Model number : 7097
Made in Japan

and at the bottom of the base : Brother J- C1
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013 07:25:01 PM by TDoG-Chad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TDoG-Chad
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013 11:27:12 AM »

Wow !

ZERO results on more information about it ... (head banged on desk)

ARRRGH !!!

Brother Sewing Machine BRADFORD Model number : 7097 Made in Japan
and at the bottom of the base : Brother J- C1 ... that is all I know for now.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013 07:25:23 PM by TDoG-Chad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013 03:47:07 AM »

Sure looks like a great work horse. It also looks well cared for. I hope it sews as good as it looks. Good luck in finding the info. Wish I could help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TDoG-Chad
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013 07:09:33 PM »

Wow !

ZERO results on more information about it ... (head banged on desk)

ARRRGH !!!

Brother Sewing Machine BRADFORD Model number : 7097 Made in Japan
and at the bottom of the base : Brother J- C1 ... that is all I know for now.

How much do you think this worth now ? ... its excellent condition except the rubber on the tiny dail ... motor belt is very dry and needs to replace soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Great Prom Looks for Any Budget
Fashion Tips And Trends For Busy Moms
Are These New White Jeans Actually Resistant To Stains?
These Festival Outfits Are Everything!
The Crop Top Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...