A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What you need to know to screen print (General Info. and Tutorial)  (Read 44057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RealAbstract.com
y0

Original paintings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005 06:21:30 AM »

i just bought the speedball fabric kit......  hopefully it will work out well. I used to do silk screening at a sign shop i worked at. I cant wait to design some shirts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

comicstriptease
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006 06:45:40 PM »

I was wondering... how do you keep the screen in place?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkeyrocker
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006 09:20:25 PM »

a.  If your screen is brand spankin new, you need to abrade it so that your stencil will stick well.  To do this, just take a soft bristle brush and lightly rub it on the screen.  Only do this when the screen is brand new.  (Only when brand new.  Seriously, Im not kidding.)
           b.  Next you wash the screen and if you happened to buy a kit with a degreaser in it, use that. Then spray it down with water.
           c.  Let it dry for about an hour.  (To speed up drying you can use a shop vac and suck off some excess water after you wash it.)

Just so I'm clear: I'm assuming you abrade and wash before applying emulsion, right?

Edit: OK, so I have MORE questions! Can you talk more about this magical capillary substance? I assume this is presensitized screen? Do you stretch it on the frame like you would untreated poly (I've never done this, but I assume it's the same as stretching canvas and that I could use premade painting stretcher bars and my handy staple gun)? Any advice on brands? I've used pretreated metal photolitho plates before; I assume it's similar stuff only on fabric.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006 09:36:06 PM by monkeyrocker » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
Amethyst
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006 01:46:23 PM »

I don't know if this is quite the place for this, but what if you come across a shirt that's been screenprinted and you want to remove some of the printing? Is this even possible, or is it there for life, or until it rubs off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raining_dreams
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006 12:34:36 PM »

I have never in my life attempted screen printing, and I don't have anyone to teach me... so, are there are any tips I must know? Also, what type of paint, supplies, etc. should I start out with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
aliengrace
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006 03:08:55 AM »

Removing screenprinted paint: you probably can't do it.  Paint is dried and cured according to the type: air dried + heat cured, heat (force) dried + cured, or uv cured.  If the paint is old and crappy you might be able to rub or pick a lot of it off, and if you print over it you should be laughing.

Starting with screenprinting?  Well, it's one of those areas of arty/craftyness that is actually quite involved.  You will find many tutorials on this site and elsewhere (search/google for 'screen printing', 'screenprinting', 'silkscreening' etc etc, which vary in complexity and budget, and in the resulting output quality.  There are cheap DIY alternatives to most of the equipment you can buy in the shops (hell, you can even make your own photosensitive emulsion), but you may or may not get as 'professional' a finish.  You've got to decide what quality you want, what quantity you want, how much you're willing to spend, whether you're prepared to go search/make cheaper alternatives, all that sort of thing.  Then you go search for tutorials til you find one that matches your budget and intentions, or do what I've done, which is aggregate the advice together into notes, and pick what works.  Get organised, make lists of what you need, go find out how much things cost, scope out where in your house/elsewhere you will do your screenprinting.  If you do exposing of arbitrary images, rather than carve your own stencil, then that will involve a more complicated process to match the resultant much more flexible output.  You need to experiment a lot, as there are a lot of variables to get right, so taking note of what you're doing as you go along.  The internet is your friend!! I'm still working it out with my screenprinting.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amethyst
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006 04:19:05 AM »

Thank you for responding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FishyD
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006 02:40:28 AM »

Should you wash and dry the shirt before screen printing anything on it?

Thanks for all the other info!  so informative, can't wait to start!  I got all the supplies, but not sure if I should wash the T first or not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strawberryluna
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006 07:25:37 PM »

I was wondering... how do you keep the screen in place?
for tshirts and fabrics, if you are really careful and wily you can hold the screen down with one hand while pulling the squeegee, but it's tricky. so, having a friend helps alot.

for prints, you need to have the screen locked down and immobile on your print surface / table. these things called jiffy or hinge clamps are the most common, useful and standard. and yes, they are about $25 a pair. they screw into your print surface and work like a dream to hold your screen in the same place during the run.  http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_product.cfm?classId=1913&subclassID=191310&brandname=Speedball&item=58224

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like fun.
aliengrace
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006 02:03:51 AM »

some good troubleshooting links (once one jumps in and gets puzzled by odd stuff happening with coating, exposure, printing etc.):

http://www.reflectives.averydennison.com/rfdtech/IB834.pdf

and

http://www.mino.co.jp/html/English_mino/E_trouble.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Skin Softening NewDarkRom
Photoshop Eye Colorization
Photoshop Selective Colorization NewDarkRoom
How to make hair selection in Photoshop
A Funeral for Blue Eye
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...