A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini me plush  (Read 969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

harledoescrafts
« on: November 12, 2009 01:55:04 AM »

This is my first ever attempt at making a doll of any sort, so please be kind  Cheesy

I wouldn't normally attempt something like this since I have little sewing experience and have to hand-sew anything I make. This little doll came to be while I was putting together a care package for my man overseas. He'd been deployed to the middle east for a few months already when I asked him what he'd like me to send in his care package.  Along with staples like pop tarts, reading material, and gummy candy he asked for something that smells like my perfume to remind him of home. Up until a week ago we've been able to communicate pretty regularly through email and IMing, but he was just moved somewhere where we won't have that luxury. We'll be communicating exclusively through letters and it's uncertain how frequently he'll have the chance to write. I thought that now more than ever he could use a little extra company.

I thought about just sending a piece of clothing or a handkerchief spritzed with the perfume, but then came up with this idea and had to give it a shot. I decided to make him a mini version of me, complete with kitty ears and a replica of a necklace he gave me. Her stuffing is scented with my perfume, and she's got a little dress made of felt and lace off of some gloves I don't wear anymore.

Anyway, enough writing. On to the pics!

She's made of felt and her little ears are velvet. Her necklace is fashioned out of a paper clip. She took me ages, but I'm really proud of her, silly as she is. Sent the package out monday, and he ought to be getting it next week. I really hope he likes her.

Oh, here's a recent pic of me in that necklace for reference

Comments and criticism appreciated  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back....with a vengeance!
sweetyetevil
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009 03:30:26 AM »

I think it is great and I am sure he will appreciate your effort in bringing you to him! He knows he is loved and when he is feeling down that little doll is what he will look to... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009 04:53:36 AM »

She looks great, I'm sure he will love her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
craftyredhead

My mutts Wig n Stink!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009 05:26:53 AM »

its lovely, a wonderful gesture   godspeed to you my dear, and thank you for the sacrifices you are both making on all our behalf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redheadedblonde

Now we're in Gumby; I'm gonna walk through a book.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009 02:30:17 PM »

I think it's just wonderful.  I'm sure he'll love it!  Sending lots of love and thoughts his way and your way too 'cause I'm sure you're missing him so much. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
harledoescrafts
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009 04:39:17 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words! I can't wait to hear what he thinks of her. His deployment has been so hard on the both of us, so I take any chance I can to send a little sunshine his way; it's the best thing for both of us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back....with a vengeance!
Severed Ties
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009 09:26:31 PM »

hey harledoescrafts, it's been about a month since you posted! I'm dying to know what he thought of your doll. I'm sure he loved it. It's a wonderful gift and you put a lot of love into it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Twist Hair - Section and Comb-Out
Learn to Twist Hair
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Finishing the Style
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Overhand Cornrow
Learn how to Cornrow Hair - Invert Cornrow
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...