A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do about misinfo disseminated from a fellow soaper?  (Read 1398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009 04:20:29 PM »

Okay, so this past weekend, I did my first big craft fair . . . was kinda a major disappointment, BUT a learning experience, as EVERYONE keeps reminding me Tongue

My question for all y'all is this:  at this fair, during a break, I went with a co-seller friend to browse the other booths.  There was a lady selling about two dozen different types of soaps, probably glycerin/ melt and pour, from the relative traslusence of the soaps.  I picked one up and glanced at the product label.  It literally said:  "glycerin, herbs, scent, color"  Now, I know, technically, soapers Don't have to label their stuff (unless they're claiming a medical benefit, etc) but . . . . her labels were inacurrate.  I asked her how large her soaps were;  she said she didn't exactly know;  she just "made them as big as possible."  Even worse, when I asked her if her soaps had SLS, she proceeded to tell me that "well, soaps have to have preservatives;  otherwise, they can get moldy, and that can be Really Deadly!"  I just looked at her in astonishment.  I will freely admit that I am still somewhat of a "newbie" when it comes to making soaps and bath/ body care stuff, but I've done enough research to know that:  A, SLS is "sodium laureth sulfate," which is a foaming agent, NOT a preservative, and B, if soap gets mold, aka Dreaded Orange Spots, it looks fugly but it's NOT "Deadly."  After all, one does not EAT soap!

So . . . sorry for ranting and rambling . . . but what can an honest, hard-working crafter do in the face of such blatant misinformation?  I mean, the unsuspecting public would hear her spiel, and could very well believe her BS!

P.S. . . . I felt that this was more in the vein of soap-related questions or issues, but if anyone feels it should be posted in the business/ crafty section, please feel free to move it.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009 09:35:14 PM »

Ah teh interwebs. She is both giver and destroyer of information. And unfortunately there is far more misinformation than actual information floating around, as you saw at your craft fair.

To answer your question, there is really nothing that can be done, sadly. Because she is not claiming any medicinal, health or miraculous cures/properties, all she's doing is passing on her ignorance. SLS warding us from deadly preservatives, p'shaw!

I always tell people the best weapon against misinformation is good information. When customers come to your booth, talk them up and give them the skinny on your ingredients (glycerin is in all soap...), and if they ask about SLS, explain what it does and why it's in there. With any luck you'll cancel out and garbage she spewed on a customer.

Also, make your labels more comprehensive. Even though "small business" (<10 employees and <10,000 units/year) is exempt from labeling*, people like labels. We've been seeing labels on products since the middle of last century. By making yours look professional and informative, it'll make customers think twice about the "glycerin, herbs, scent" atrocities at her booth.

However, in most states you could report her if she was claiming medicinal/health benefits. If she was claiming that her lavender soap treated PMS (not that it was good for PMS, but that it actually cured or treated PMS), or that her clove soap cured cancer, you'd absolutely be able to do something. But otherwise, not a lot to be done. Although in the future you could maybe offer some friendly advice and point her towards a multitude of legitimate craft/soap sites. Smiley

*This could be changing, and may be variable to specific states. I just know Colorado still does not require labeling for small business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009 10:33:46 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  It was just such a disappointing experience, seeing this lady, who was either purposely or unwittingly giving all this false info to people . . . I don't think she was claiming any medical benefits;  at least she wasn't when I was there.  So I guess I'll just have to let it go, as one of those things I can't do anything about . . .

One of my co-vendors, who had apparently examined the other lady's soaps, said she thought the lady probably hadn't even made them herself.  I know there are places you can get whole loaves of CP soap, to cut and package yourself. . . . are there wholesalers who do the same thing with MP slices/ logs?

Wow . . . I wish I'd known about that labelling requirement BEFORE I slaved away in front of the hot computer for hours and hours (well, I like playing around on Photoshop, but still . . . )  At least now I have labels for anytime in the future I decide to do this. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Nymeria

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009 12:42:11 PM »

One of my co-vendors, who had apparently examined the other lady's soaps, said she thought the lady probably hadn't even made them herself.  I know there are places you can get whole loaves of CP soap, to cut and package yourself. . . . are there wholesalers who do the same thing with MP slices/ logs?

Wow . . . I wish I'd known about that labelling requirement BEFORE I slaved away in front of the hot computer for hours and hours (well, I like playing around on Photoshop, but still . . . )  At least now I have labels for anytime in the future I decide to do this. 

Yes there are places you can buy logs of MP. There was a story from years and years ago when my mom was in the craft fair circuit where a woman went and bought a TON of these clay ornaments from my mom's friend and two weeks later she was selling them at a craft fair for $2 more! People are bastards.

As far as labels go, I tell people to always use them whether the law requires it or not. People have been seeing labels on their products since the middle of last century. We LIKE to know what we're eating or applying to our body. For people like me with very sensitive skin, I monitor what I use like a hawk. I won't buy anything at a craft fair that is either not labeled, or that the vendor cannot tell me in specific what is in his/her products.

Labels are a good thing. And if you slaved on Photoshop, they probably look uber cool and the cooler the label, the more attractive your product, the more attractive your product the more sales.

Moral: Use labels!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009 08:09:13 PM »

Yes to labels. I wouldn't buy something without a label because to me it means that a) it probably doesn't have quality ingredients or I might be allergic and b) if they aren't smart enough to label it, are they smart enough to make something I want to put on my skin? Probably not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/19

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nymeria

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009 08:51:45 PM »

Yes to labels. I wouldn't buy something without a label because to me it means that a) it probably doesn't have quality ingredients or I might be allergic and b) if they aren't smart enough to label it, are they smart enough to make something I want to put on my skin? Probably not.

QFT. It also speaks to professionalism. Customers tend to frown upon someone who, "can't be bothered" to make a label.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009 05:31:35 PM »

imagine how many people she came across just at that fair and misinformed..scary..eek!!

I probably wouldnt have gotten into anything with her either..seems like bad timing.

Its frustrating to have someone deliver misinformation to the masses and having the masses believe what she is preaching.

She could have been a middle person but still if its on your table and you are selling it its best to have ALL the knowledge needed to present it..sad if she didnt take the time to learn about what she was selling..

I probably would have gotten her info and contacted her after the show..forward her some links that were accurate..its hard to do that and have her NOT become defensive..

and YES,LABELS LABELS LABELS..I love them and hate them..such dreary work to label each little soap but its best to be safe and for customers to be well informed of what you use and what is going on their skin..plus,who doesnt love looking at olive oil and coconut oil written on a label together..mmmmm!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
MassSoapgirl
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010 01:03:35 PM »

I second what was replied.. and whats even scarier is this...." I picked one up and glanced at the product label.  It literally said:  "glycerin, herbs, scent, color" ".

I would of asked her what exact herbs, scents, and colors were in the soap. How could she be sure that I was not allergic to the herbs. Was the coloring, skin safe? or just from crayons, or food coloring. I think I would have had a blast with that LMAO
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2-Minute Bow Hairstyle for Kids
How to Fake a Lob
How to Get Temporary Multi-Colored Hair
The High Price Of Fabulous Hair?
The High Price Of Fabulous Hair?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...