A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Banh Mi/Vietnamese Sandwiches  (Read 7345 times)
Tags for this thread: vegan , sandwich , recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

applesweet
Darling

Banana-Headed Thing

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2009 03:43:37 PM »

I am totally obsessed with these things, but there isn't a place in my town that makes them. So I made my own. Perfect for packed lunches, but for real I could eat one of these for any meal of the day. If you like sandwiches or salads, I definitely suggest you try this out.

Ingredients

1 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro
3-4 Carrots, thinly sliced or shredded
1 Whole Cucumber, thinly sliced and quartered
1/2 Cup White Onion, thinly sliced or chopped
1 Jalapeno, thinly sliced and quartered
1 Cup White Vinegar
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Package Firm Tofu
Vegan Mayo
Hoisin Sauce
Sriracha/Rooster Sauce
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Garlic Powder
3-5 Demi Baguettes (You can make them but I just bought mine. I highly suggest you go to an actual bakery and skip the grocery store's mediocrity.)

First, before you do anything, mix the sugar and vinegar in a bowl with like a cup and a half of water and soak the cut carrots. They need to soak for about 45 minutes.
Cut up your pepper, cilantro, cucumber and onion and toss it in a bowl as you would greens for a salad. I added a little bit of soy sauce to this and put it aside.
Mix a little (or a lot) of Hoisin in with your "mayo" and add a little Sriracha for zazz and set aside. There are no measurements for this because it's better to suit your own taste with this than to follow a recipe. You want a spicy sandwich, add a lot of Sriracha. You want a more savory sandwich, add a lot of Hoisin. Whatever.

Dogs are not very helpful in the kitchen because they have no thumbs and have a hard time controlling their appetites. But they are good for vacuuming up any tofu you drop on the floor.

Time to fry your tofu. I like it scrambled, so to speak, and just cubed mine and mixed it all up in the pan, like so. But if you're heavy into tofu you can do slabs and fry those. Also, you only need a little bit of sesame oil (or olive oil or whatever, your prerogative) and can call it a day, but I also added soy sauce, sesame seeds and garlic powder to the pan as well for flavor.

After your tofu has been browned it is time for sandwich construction. You can see the tofu, "mayo" mixture and veggies here all ready to hop into this sandwich and then into my belly. All of this made 4 sandwiches perfectly with about a cup of the veggies left over. Also, I added some soy sauce directly onto the bread for more zazz.

And ta~da! You have a totally amazing delicious Vietnamese Sandwich! Prep time for me was about 30-45 minutes, so this is something perfect to make when you're pinched for time but need to impress your friends with your worldly and adventurous culinary skills.

Does anyone know of any/have any ideas for variations or additions? I know most restaurants will add Daikon radish but I couldn't find any/don't really care, but I'm curious about what else could be good in this. Let me know if you try it and like it!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 03:48:53 PM by applesweet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009 05:25:49 PM »

that looks so good Smiley such a shame that your town doesn't have any D: i usually head down to chinatown (with a couple of vietnamese joints thrown in as well) to grab one - but maybe it's time to try my hand at making my own. Thanks for the clear instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Lizzle
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009 06:37:33 PM »

That looks seriously delicious.  I don't  know of anything else to add, but it does look a lot like what I get at restaurants around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
castlesinthesky
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009 08:05:00 PM »

Thanks for the recipe! We grow daikon radishes so I'll definitely be adding them when I try it. I can also think of a number of dishes where soaking carrots like that would yield stunning results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009 08:53:40 PM »

The favorite sandwich shop in high school would also have jalepeno peppers, but I always took them off anyway  Roll Eyes

Thanks for this post! I'd forgotten how much I miss those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009 09:06:08 PM »

i will have to agree and say that that looks delicious. the ingredients i can think of though would make it no longer vegan. I personally do not like tofu. I don't think of it as a meat replacement, I just have a thing with food textures that i am picky about and tofu does not play nice with it. I would use a bit of chicken, personally with maybe a bit of cheese.

In order to stick with the vegan diet though, would tomatoes go along with it? I have not tried the spices you mentioned before.
maybe some mushrooms?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009 02:40:05 PM »

Looks delicious & well worth the effort!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
kahlan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009 10:41:22 PM »

Lawsy mercy I have been trying to scratch a banh mi itch for a month! I've had two in town and the vegetarian ones have been disappointing.

A place I grew up near had curry mock duck (seitan) in theirs. om nom nom. I second the suggestion for sliced jalapenos (just seed them if that's too spicy). If you can't find daikon, another kind of radish might work, too.

And if anyone else is interested in making their own Vietnamese-style baguettes, this recipe looks good though I have yet to try it myself: http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/blog/2007/05/vietnamese_bagu.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009 10:41:56 PM by kahlan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://littlebluehen.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notahipster/

Better to fail at something you love than succeed at something you hate. - George Burns
schnerby
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009 03:44:05 AM »

I doubt it's authentic, but I'd love some fresh sliced tomato in there, and maybe some mushrooms.

Sounds yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009 07:20:34 PM »

Damn that's good. I have a place called Lee's Sandwiches I go to to get my fix but hell, if I can do it at home it's all the better. This looks delish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009 11:47:28 AM »

This looks delightful. I would second the vote for mock duck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009 08:07:54 PM »

Thank you SOOO much for sharing this recipe with us!  I was so enticed by your photos, I ran right out, bought the ingredients I didn't have in my pantry/fridge, and made these for dinner tonight.  (Except we used pork instead of tofu.)  I had never tried this dish before, and didn't know what to expect.  OH MY -- it is WONDERFUL.  A new favorite in our household!  Thanks again!!!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maguro
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009 09:03:22 PM »

Thank you so much for posting this! i stumbled upon your post a few hours ago and my mouth was watering... I live about 45 minutes away from good Vietnamese sammies. I just made them for my fiance and I and they were absolutely delicious. He scarfed his and said, "I'd rather have this over a burger any day". Me too!!

The only thing i did differently was slice the tofu in long thin strips and pan fry them, then toss with a bit of soy sauce and sesame seeds. And i added some regular radishes since my grocery didn't have Daikon. I'm so excited for lunch leftovers tomorrow.

XOXOXOX

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009 09:20:50 PM by maguro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alorralora
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010 06:12:17 PM »

I am seriously saliobbervating over this one!  I love cilantro and basil and other herby goodness in Asian food,  I think more Americans need to eat more of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
amyziz
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010 02:54:22 AM »

Thank you so much for this incredibly detailed tutorial.  Also your dog is pretty cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nachturnal
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010 05:30:57 PM »

Just to clarify:  "bnh m" is actually Vietnamese for "bread".  Wink

For true authenticity, at least the way my family's always done it, finely grate some carrots and... I believe radish, all I remember of it is that it's white and crunchy, and soak both in fish sauce, before draining and adding to the sandwich.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alorralora
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010 06:06:19 PM »

I'm still drooling....

btw, I have a quick question...how easy is it to adjust to a vegan lifestyle?  Do you have to do it gradually or is it best to go cold turkey?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010 07:07:50 PM »

I'm not a veggie, but that sounds so yummy! If I were to make that for myself, what meat would I use?  Pork? And might I add that you're dog, is so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
maguro
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010 08:15:15 AM »

I made them again recently and my fiance had leftover pulled pork he'd barbecued the day before. he put that on his sandwich and loved it. i think pretty much any protein would work... but i love the sesame tofu. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010 11:39:14 PM »

a Vietnamese food? that is why my aunte always prepare a food like this , she work in vetnam for almost 10 years and they are fun eating like this food ... it seem so healthy food and vegan .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
msmadeline
list-maker extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010 12:34:03 PM »

:] most of the fresh veggies in this sandwhich are currently sprouting in my tiny greenhouse..this makes me SO happy.

also, this sammy looks BITCHIN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ladyleopard
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013 08:27:26 AM »

Wow this looks delicious! I think I'll have to make this tonight for din din.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flared-trousers

The face she wore was not her own

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013 02:15:22 AM »

This looks delicious; I definitely want to try it some time soon. I love your doggy vacuum cleaner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013 11:52:56 AM »

Looks much more filling and appetizing than just a salad!

Yummm...I also have a barkuum cleaner...only he weights 90 pounds! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013 08:54:06 AM »

YUUUMMMMM! I'm a veggie but my husband loves meat. Banh Mi sandwiches are something that he really loves though. I'm going to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014 08:19:33 AM »

Looks good!

I should make some for my family - who loves the banh mi sandwiches made in town, (they have meat in 'em), but they are terrified of the raw pork sausages that go into 'em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
natsuno
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014 12:18:51 AM »

This looks tasty and simple to make, the ingredients too are easy to find at my place.

Definately will try this out this week ! Thanks for the recipe  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014 12:18:56 PM »

That looks delish! I have had it with seitan and radish in there. They also had something to replace the pate, maybe it was hummus or mushroom pate?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing: How to Re-Gather
Glass Blowing: How Color Is Applied
Pottery: How to Make a Planter Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Large Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Double-Walled Vessel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...