A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Banh Mi/Vietnamese Sandwiches  (Read 7205 times)
Tags for this thread: vegan , sandwich , recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

applesweet
Darling

Banana-Headed Thing

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2009 03:43:37 PM »

I am totally obsessed with these things, but there isn't a place in my town that makes them. So I made my own. Perfect for packed lunches, but for real I could eat one of these for any meal of the day. If you like sandwiches or salads, I definitely suggest you try this out.

Ingredients

1 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro
3-4 Carrots, thinly sliced or shredded
1 Whole Cucumber, thinly sliced and quartered
1/2 Cup White Onion, thinly sliced or chopped
1 Jalapeno, thinly sliced and quartered
1 Cup White Vinegar
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Package Firm Tofu
Vegan Mayo
Hoisin Sauce
Sriracha/Rooster Sauce
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Garlic Powder
3-5 Demi Baguettes (You can make them but I just bought mine. I highly suggest you go to an actual bakery and skip the grocery store's mediocrity.)

First, before you do anything, mix the sugar and vinegar in a bowl with like a cup and a half of water and soak the cut carrots. They need to soak for about 45 minutes.
Cut up your pepper, cilantro, cucumber and onion and toss it in a bowl as you would greens for a salad. I added a little bit of soy sauce to this and put it aside.
Mix a little (or a lot) of Hoisin in with your "mayo" and add a little Sriracha for zazz and set aside. There are no measurements for this because it's better to suit your own taste with this than to follow a recipe. You want a spicy sandwich, add a lot of Sriracha. You want a more savory sandwich, add a lot of Hoisin. Whatever.

Dogs are not very helpful in the kitchen because they have no thumbs and have a hard time controlling their appetites. But they are good for vacuuming up any tofu you drop on the floor.

Time to fry your tofu. I like it scrambled, so to speak, and just cubed mine and mixed it all up in the pan, like so. But if you're heavy into tofu you can do slabs and fry those. Also, you only need a little bit of sesame oil (or olive oil or whatever, your prerogative) and can call it a day, but I also added soy sauce, sesame seeds and garlic powder to the pan as well for flavor.

After your tofu has been browned it is time for sandwich construction. You can see the tofu, "mayo" mixture and veggies here all ready to hop into this sandwich and then into my belly. All of this made 4 sandwiches perfectly with about a cup of the veggies left over. Also, I added some soy sauce directly onto the bread for more zazz.

And ta~da! You have a totally amazing delicious Vietnamese Sandwich! Prep time for me was about 30-45 minutes, so this is something perfect to make when you're pinched for time but need to impress your friends with your worldly and adventurous culinary skills.

Does anyone know of any/have any ideas for variations or additions? I know most restaurants will add Daikon radish but I couldn't find any/don't really care, but I'm curious about what else could be good in this. Let me know if you try it and like it!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 03:48:53 PM by applesweet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009 05:25:49 PM »

that looks so good Smiley such a shame that your town doesn't have any D: i usually head down to chinatown (with a couple of vietnamese joints thrown in as well) to grab one - but maybe it's time to try my hand at making my own. Thanks for the clear instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Lizzle
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009 06:37:33 PM »

That looks seriously delicious.  I don't  know of anything else to add, but it does look a lot like what I get at restaurants around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
castlesinthesky
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009 08:05:00 PM »

Thanks for the recipe! We grow daikon radishes so I'll definitely be adding them when I try it. I can also think of a number of dishes where soaking carrots like that would yield stunning results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009 08:53:40 PM »

The favorite sandwich shop in high school would also have jalepeno peppers, but I always took them off anyway  Roll Eyes

Thanks for this post! I'd forgotten how much I miss those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009 09:06:08 PM »

i will have to agree and say that that looks delicious. the ingredients i can think of though would make it no longer vegan. I personally do not like tofu. I don't think of it as a meat replacement, I just have a thing with food textures that i am picky about and tofu does not play nice with it. I would use a bit of chicken, personally with maybe a bit of cheese.

In order to stick with the vegan diet though, would tomatoes go along with it? I have not tried the spices you mentioned before.
maybe some mushrooms?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009 02:40:05 PM »

Looks delicious & well worth the effort!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
kahlan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009 10:41:22 PM »

Lawsy mercy I have been trying to scratch a banh mi itch for a month! I've had two in town and the vegetarian ones have been disappointing.

A place I grew up near had curry mock duck (seitan) in theirs. om nom nom. I second the suggestion for sliced jalapenos (just seed them if that's too spicy). If you can't find daikon, another kind of radish might work, too.

And if anyone else is interested in making their own Vietnamese-style baguettes, this recipe looks good though I have yet to try it myself: http://vietworldkitchen.typepad.com/blog/2007/05/vietnamese_bagu.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009 10:41:56 PM by kahlan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://littlebluehen.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notahipster/

Better to fail at something you love than succeed at something you hate. - George Burns
schnerby
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009 03:44:05 AM »

I doubt it's authentic, but I'd love some fresh sliced tomato in there, and maybe some mushrooms.

Sounds yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009 07:20:34 PM »

Damn that's good. I have a place called Lee's Sandwiches I go to to get my fix but hell, if I can do it at home it's all the better. This looks delish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crusty Grilled Rueben Sandwich Recipe
Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
Sizzling Grilled Beef Strip Steak Recipe
Super Southern Creamy Corn Pudding Recipe
Sausage Cheese Balls with Sweet Dipping Mustard Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...