A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,604
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sharpie Dye Color Bursts  (Read 33116 times)
Tags for this thread: sharpie , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2009 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IamSusie
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009 12:56:03 PM »

this project may be a tad bit beyond my 4 yr old... at least the dripping of the alcohol onto the fabric.  coloring the fabric, however wasnt.. he just soaked one spot causing the ink to not spread very well.. but eh, I can let him draw on fabric and I'll do the driping LOL

One tip was to use a spray bottle for the alcohol.  Your 4-year old might not care if you just do the dripping.  Wink  It takes a moment for all the colors to swirl and bleed.  We found that it was boring to use only one color so we used combinations of colors instead.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 12:58:07 PM by IamSusie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009 01:04:57 PM »

What fun!  The Sharpie people just contacted me about this project on my blog!  This makes me wonder how the Sharpie people even know about my blog.... 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009 01:29:16 PM »

Paper Coffee filters work wonderfully well for a similar project.... but I haven't tried it since I could afford a wide assortment of Sharpies... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009 01:35:17 PM »

wow that's gorgeous! so giving this a go soon Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
IamSusie
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009 01:40:12 PM »

Paper Coffee filters work wonderfully well for a similar project.... but I haven't tried it since I could afford a wide assortment of Sharpies... Roll Eyes
My daughter came home from school dismissively saying that she totally did this before at school.  It didn't take long for her to get excited about it again!  Fabric is cool, because it is fabric.. not paper.. I'm a fibercraft person more than a papercraft person.  Cool

You can also do this with regular markers and water, but the images wont be permanent.  I also think that those markers have colors that separate.  The black does especially separate into pretty colors.  Black Sharpies just get sort of grey with the alcohol..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009 02:21:09 PM »

this project may be a tad bit beyond my 4 yr old... at least the dripping of the alcohol onto the fabric.  coloring the fabric, however wasnt.. he just soaked one spot causing the ink to not spread very well.. but eh, I can let him draw on fabric and I'll do the driping LOL

One tip was to use a spray bottle for the alcohol.  Your 4-year old might not care if you just do the dripping.  Wink  It takes a moment for all the colors to swirl and bleed.  We found that it was boring to use only one color so we used combinations of colors instead.

mm spray bottle may have been easier for him.. we could count how many sprays we need to get our desired effect...  Great idea!

What fun!  The Sharpie people just contacted me about this project on my blog!  This makes me wonder how the Sharpie people even know about my blog.... 

thats sweet!  I take it was good feedback from them?  how exciting, maybe they'll give you a life times suply of sharpies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009 02:23:27 PM »

I saw this on your flickr & hoped you would share it here! What a great rainy day...or any day activity for kids!

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
phoenixfiredesigns
~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009 03:43:21 PM »

Really cool! I've never heard of this before. I so want to try it out. Thanks for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
notanotherxerox
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009 04:28:49 PM »

This is such a cool project! I can't wait to see what mine turn out like. Theres nothing I love more than a quick, easy project that I have all the supplies for, and comes out looking amazing!!! Thats awesome that the Sharpie people wrote you:)

-Tabitha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009 04:40:59 PM »

I've also never heard of this before.  I have everything I need to try this.  Does it work on paper as well?  It would make some really cool looking cards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Animated Logo - Motion 3
How to Do Advanced Compositing - Shake 4.1
How to Do Advanced Tracking - Shake 4.1
How to Create Heat Displacement - Shake 4.1
How to Create an Animation - SideFX Houdini
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...