A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bath and Beauty Featured Member--smittenheart!  (Read 13705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2009 09:56:29 PM »

The next Craftster member to be featured in Bath and Body is ~ the always fabulous smittenheart!

She has been a member of Craftster since January of 2008, and is a frequent poster on the Bath & Beauty Boards.  She posts great projects on the completed projects board and is always one of the first ones to offer help and advice on the discussions and questions board.

These are some of my personal favorite projects of hers:

Paprika Colored Soap

Vanilla Milk Bath

tis the season for layering

Felted sweater owl bag

And, of course, she is the one who brought out the dirty underworld of soaping into the publics eye: soap licking!

Heres a little bit about smittenheart, in her own words:

I am a mama to two boys - Ryan 11yo and Shane 5yo.I am originally from Hawaii and currently live in Washington DC.I have been crafting since I was 6yo - tearing up old t-shirts to make handbags or wrist cuffs. I have a studio in my basement that serves as an inspiration point for my jewelry making, knitting and soaping endeavors.
  I found craftster.org by chance. My sister in law gave me the link, explained to me what exactly swapping was and I was HOOKED. Craftster has served as an excellent inspirational point for me. I have taken up working with polymer clay and resin because of the AWESOME projects that fellow craftsters have postedsuch a talented group of people!

Q: Why (and when) did you begin making Bath and Body items?

A: I started making B&B things when I was pregnant with my oldest son. I was worried about getting stretch marks and I have always had an interest in balms and salves. I went to a bookstore and found a book about soaps, lotions, salves and balms. In the book there was a recipe for making a stretch mark oil. I went to various health food stores for my ingredients went home whipped up a batch and I WAS HOOKED. I WANTED to learn EVERYTHING I could about oil properties and what they could do to my skin.

Q: What is your B&B philosophy (as far as all-natural, animal products, etc)?

A: I dont think I have a philosophy about WHAT are absolutes to use and NOT use. I do believe that you should use what is as easily accessible to you as possible and to NOT get caught up in using something that is unattainable to you. If you can t find that HARD to find oil or butter than use what you can find.

Q: Besides soap, what other B&B items do you make?

A: I also make balms, salves and just recently I have been toying with making body butter.

Q: How did your first soap making project go for you?

A: I cant say that my first of ANYTHING went very well. When I made my first CP soap my hand was trembling so hard I was nervous about any lye getting on me. Even though I had ALL of the precautions I was soo nervous. The soap ended up being usable but I couldnt imagine the process being ANY fun since I was soo nervous. I made my next batch a few days later and that was it. I had found yet another obsession.

Q: What other crafts do you do besides Bath & Beauty? What's your favorite? What do you consider your best craft?

A: ohh..favorite..that s a hard one..lets see probably knitting..it amazes me how you can take a ball of yarn and turn it into something wearable and something that can tailor to your own style..

Q: What are your favorite (and/or least favorite) techniques (oven processing, hmmmm?)

A: favorite techniques..in soaping CP..overall I like making resin jewelry..and yes..least HAS to be by far CPOP..I havent figured that little booger out

Q: You seem to have a bit of an obsession with vanilla. Should we stage an intervention?

A: YES!I seriously CAN NOT help it. Even scents that I dont  think have vanilla in it- do. I am trying to give other scents a try and to expand my horizons

Q: What is your favorite B&B project on Craftster that you posted?

A:  Because I had read and read that adding sugar to soap was a BAD idea since it may make your soap sticky and it would NEVER set. This soap ended up being my favorite. It cured well and it is both a soap and scrub.

Red Current and Thyme Tea Sugar Soap

Q: What is your favorite B&B project on Craftster that someone else has posted?  

A: I think that this project has helped soo many people overcome the fear of making soap. Its detailed and the photos are great for people that are visual learners. Seeing how many people have made soap because of the tutorial makes me soo happy and just reinforces the giving and sharing nature of Craftster.

Soap Making Tutorial  by OhHappyDay

Q: What is your favorite non-B&B project on Craftster that you have posted?  

A: It was one of the first projects that I did using resin and photos. This was a present for a friend and she was totally surprised by it. The picture was the inspiration for me to try out using resin and I had soo much fun.

Resin Photo Necklace and Bracelet

Q: What is your favorite non-B&B project on Craftster that someone else has posted?  And why (with link to project)

A: NEED I SAY MORE! This bag is amazing. I have been obsessed with this bag since I first came across it and though I make felted items I could NEVER attempt making this bag,its too AWESOME!

Shrimp Sushi Bag by ax174

Thanks so much for sharing a little about yourself! And thanks for being a wonderful part of the Craftster community!

If you see someone that you would like to see featured on this board, please feel free to send a pm to myself or Nymeria.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009 12:42:07 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009 10:28:46 PM »

i hadnt read any of the member interviews (i shy away from this board since i have no idea when i can pick up b&b again, hopefully in the new year) but i am really happy i read this one...its interesting to get to know fellow craftsters more closely, i cant wait to go read the others right now!

congrats smittenheart!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
carole2233
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009 02:18:36 AM »

Wow, really great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RyverChyld
♥Live ♥ Laugh ♥ Love♥

I Believe in Fairies!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009 08:31:10 AM »

Super Cool!  Congrats smittenheart! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftingideas
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010 03:17:59 AM »

Very Nice Share Weldone
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleAngel89
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010 02:40:59 AM »

Your stuff is really amazing!
Can you show my how to make that?
I often try to make crafts but haven't succeeded yet
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010 09:27:46 AM »

Your stuff is really amazing!
Can you show my how to make that?
I often try to make crafts but haven't succeeded yet

which craft are you needing help in making??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
brandy062191
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010 09:44:23 AM »

Cheesy wow i like
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010 09:57:07 PM »

WOw smittenheart. I appreciated how you drive the beauty of art. I am fan of you. Keep it up...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010 09:59:15 PM by CraftyLittleLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010 07:02:18 PM »

Congrats on being the featured member.   Smiley Smiley  I love your crafts too, you are super uber talented.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010 07:02:36 PM by Lique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Double Dare: V-Day Pink Makeup Goes Edgy
How to Create the Perfect Cat-Eye
4 Best Shimmering Bronzers
Double Dare: Smoky Eye
Double Dare: How to Rock Colored Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...