A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Want to try dyeing... so how do I get started?  (Read 739 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laurakay
« on: November 10, 2009 08:11:08 PM »

Are there any good websites I should look for?

And what supplies do I need? I need to try to go as inexpensively as possible. And my projects will probably be about the size of a fat quarter 18 x 22. I don't have much space to work in. I'll probably use the results for quilting... quilts, wall hangings, bags. Probably not clothing unless I do scarves. Usually muslin or cotton, possibly silk.

Would appreciate any advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009 10:33:28 PM »

I know some quilters use dye techniques on small fabric pieces using baggies or such, sometimes with the microwave. I don't know details, but you can probably find info on the internet or a library.  Silk needs different treatment and dyes than cotton.  For cotton, I would recommend getting some procion or other fiber-reactive dyes rather than a union dye (rit, dylon, anything at the grocery store) - they are more cost effective per quantity and give much better results. Fiber reactive dyes are cold water dyes that you can use in a small bucket, you will also need salt (ice cream salt is cheap and easily found at the grocery store) and soda ash aka washing soda (also inexpensive, you may be able to find some in the cleaning section of your grocers, or buy from a dye supplier).

Gloves are good, as is a decent face mask for particulates.  You can use plastic chopsticks or other plastic utensils to stir the dye - take a trip to the thrift store for glass or enamelware containers (do not use aluminum, copper, or other non-enameled metal containers, they will react with the dye). Do not use any containers that will ever be used for food again. Cotton will not take dye from acid dyes (kool aid, icing dyes, commercial acid dyes).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ma2maya
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009 06:21:34 PM »

Just to add to what Ptarmic Wumpus has said...

I dye both cotton and silk with fiber reactive dyes. Silk takes the dye very well and vividly for a majority of colors. Keep in mind that FR were formulated for cotton so the colors you see as examples are for cotton. Like I said, silk dyes spot on for most colors. I can get an o.k. black but browns and sage have been difficult for me on silk. They tend to color separate, meaning the component colors that make up the dye "come out".

For smaller fabric swatches i.e. fat quarters a method called Low Water Immersion works well. I have a tutorial on my blog... http://desertdyeworks.blogspot.com/2009/07/something-fun-and-quick.html

Have fun and be prepared to get addicted to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 2/2
How to Understand what is Important in a Portrait
How to Create Image Rhythm and Balance Part 1/2
How to Create Image Rhythm and Balance Part 2/2
How to Work in Monotone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...