A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pervasive pillow puckers popping plans  (Read 345 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cjbear
« on: December 29, 2009 03:26:27 PM »

I am making a nursing pillow for one my my 5 pregnant coworkers (EKK! It must be something in the water!).  This is a horseshoe shaped pillow, so it simply takes two U-shaped cuts of fabric sewn together (except for a little 4" opening to stuff n' stitch).  One of the U-shapes is a cute cotton fabric while the other half is non-pill fleece (I'm trying to think of what babies like, which I would assume to be boobs, cartoons and soft stuff).  I found that when I started stuffing the ends of the U-shape puckers began to form.  SOOOO I unstuffed it, turned it inside out, and cut some small notches close the the seam and restuffed....it only got more noticeable.  Am I doing something wrong or are nursing pillows supposed to have these awkward puckers?  If I keep stuffing it will it get even worse?  Is my fabric choice the problem?  Should I add some kind of detail around the edges to hide the puckers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Greenimimi
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009 07:06:50 PM »

Are the puckers on both sides of the seam or only on the stretchier fabric(i.e. the fleece)? If the puckering is occurring on both sides you might be able to fix it by either stuffing it very tightly or by reinforcing the seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wildwoodgardens
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009 08:43:54 PM »

You just need to clip the curves. Cut into the seam allowance about every 1/4" along the curve. I use a little sharp embroidery scissor. Be careful not to cut through the seam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjbear
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010 11:39:16 AM »

Here is the finished pillow - even after clipping the corners it still puckered. I didn't want to overstuff it, otherwise the ends would be really firm and the outside parts soft (I wanted it soft throughout).  While it's not exactly what I wanted, it still worked out (and babies don't know the difference!).  The pattern is from "Simple Sewing for Baby" by Lotta Jansdotter

Fabric from Crafty Planet, back side has non-pill fleece
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Slow Shutter Speed to Create Leading Light
How to Photograph with Storm Lighting
How to Create Beauty Lighting
How to Photograph Spontaneously
How to Understand Psychological Impact of a Subject
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...