A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about pillowcase inserts from Weekend Knitting  (Read 582 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2005 08:05:11 AM »

Hello out there,
I just finished knitting the pillowcase inserts from Weekend Knitting for my mom's birthday (Sunday) and they are really curling.  I tried ironing... no luck.  Should I just block them?  I'm going to use my aunt's sewing machine today to sew them into the pillows... can I block the whole thing after they're sewn in?  I'm afraid when i sew them in they're going to bunch the pillowcase up because they are curling.  Sad 
Any help is appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
monstergirl
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005 09:00:29 AM »

Mine are super-curly as well. I used mercerized cotton (100% cotton, really shiny), and I wet-blocked them: sprayed them down with water, laid them out and pinned them on my ironing board. Left them there for a day or so, so they could dry. Don't pin too tight, or you'll get super-funky wavy sides (ask me how I know)...

I hate taking the time, but blocking makes things sew in*so much better*. Good luck!

peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ax174
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005 10:29:54 AM »

I steam-blocked my insert.  In the FAQ, there's a link to a good article about blocking; it recommends steam-blocking for cotton.

BTW, I tried machine-sewing my insert, but it looked like hell. It stretched and bunched up no matter how careful I was - grrr!  I had to rip it out and that took forever.  It was easier and, believe it or leave it, faster to hand-sew.  Even then one side stretched out and got bunchy near the end.  However, this project is very forgiving, 'cause when the pillow case was completed, after a week with a fat pillow in it, the lace evened itself out.  True story.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005 10:32:13 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005 12:55:29 PM »

Wow, sewing by hand was faster?  Who knew?  Thanks for the blocking tips, monster and ax.  I really appreciate it!
-J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
mojisha
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005 04:22:14 PM »

I agree with Ax about the whole hand-sewing thing.  I machine-sewed mine and had to do one pillow twice and the other three times to make it turn out right!  When you factor in ripping the seams, it took FOREVER.  It would have gone exponentially faster had I just hand-sewn the darned things to begin with! 

Edit to add: Please show us pics when you're done! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
ax174
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005 10:17:44 AM »

I wanted to add that I hand-sewed the lace insert into the pillow case.  I hemmed the two pieces of the pillow case itself by machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amoy Pitters of Amoy Couture: VIBE VIXEN Salon Takeover
How to Create Marilyn Monroe-Inspired Hollywood Hair
How to Create 1940s Style Katy Perry-Inspired Hair
How to Get Easy Hairstyles For Spring
Get The Tousled Look With TRESemme
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...