A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,746
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what if anything can be done with this? lg wire spool  (Read 5479 times)
Tags for this thread: copper_spool  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snowbird49908

crazy looks good on me

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009 10:46:57 PM »

My dad owns a welding shop so I have tons of these copper spools that welding wire comes on at my disposal. Every time someone has something they dump it off with me suspecting I will find some sort of crafty use for it. this time I am stumped if this can be turned into anything. So, with that being said..bestow upon me all of your great crafty creativity..
Here be the dreaded spool of craft recycling block:
(it has a 12 inch radious if that helps any and its about 6 inches thick)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010 09:53:13 AM by teapotdnky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

All That I'm After Is A Life Full Of Laughter
As Long As I'm Laughing With You
dshouppe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009 11:15:52 PM »

could it be a "clip it up" system to hang scrapbooking supplies from?  Make a chandelier? hand old bottles from it in the yard...ok start over..attack wooden pole, hang old glass bottles from it  then you have a very unique bottle tree! Or use it inside for chandelier using crystals,water bottles water ever is on hand, clip it up system for scrapbooking(do a search and see what others have used) .Use it as magizine holder, cover in pretty paper/mag or scrapbooking and then place magazines inside spokes etc.  I have this has helped. If you can let me know what you have decided to do with it.  I love stuff like this, you may hold onto it for a while and then wham! the perfect idea and solution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ma21cuteboy
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009 12:48:53 AM »

Make it into a clock:O
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristov
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009 01:37:24 AM »

Couple ideas come to mind. First would just be practical, use as a garden hose spool. Second, with some minor modification, could very easily be turned into a water wheel for a garden pond or something. Would get a very nice patina after a season or two.

I like the chandelier idea though.

If you have a few, they would make an awesome glass table support structure. Get say a 4" diameter glass top, take a few of those, solder for strength, and add those little rubber feet things so as to not scratch the glass. May need a little reinforcement, but looks fairly sturdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evil triumphs, when good men do nothing.

Visit my Etsy store for quality "dark" leather goods: www.FleshCrafters.e tsy.com
LilyDay
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009 02:51:56 AM »

Lamp Shade!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/LilyDay

Every little thing I do
Trickles down and lands on you
I don't plan to get it wrong
Maybe keep your raincoat on
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009 03:13:35 AM »

My first thought was chandelier too - Place it on the horizontal and and make holders for glass tealight or votive holders, and decorate as such to suspend from the ceiling.  Or put it on the vertical, and weld the holders to the front, and mount on a wall.  I like the lightshade idea too, but at 6 inches, I was thinking for a ceiling mounted light myself.  Or wrap fabric around the sides and bottom (or decorative paper), place a votive holder in the centre and mount on ceilings to make patio lanterns

Garden art also comes to mind - base for windchimes, mosaics, dreamcatchers, mounted up the side of a wall for climbing plants, or welded together to do such.  Good tomato cages too; tie or weld them together, and place around plants while they are young.  I think the copper is supposed to also repel slugs too?

If you can cut the spokes between the two rounds, they may make nice wreath bases as well.

I am surprised they are giving them away - copper can be a valuable commodity when base metal prices are high.  A lot of people recycle them for the money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009 03:51:46 AM »

My first thought was chandelier, too. In fact, I thought it was the base for one when I saw the thumbnail!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009 07:20:10 AM »

My first thought was a clock Smiley
But I like all the ideas so far, I think the mag rack is a neat idea along the lines of that if you could make it sturdy - a wine rack?
But I can't wait to see what you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
lonewolf
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009 07:22:38 AM »

the first thing that popped into my head was to make a christmas centerpiece with evergreen, candle and ribbon .  just a thought.
Hope you get many ideas from it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009 07:23:07 AM »

It could be one of those shoe organizer wheel thingies
http://www.newsletterarchive.org/2007/07/24/195699-Introducing+the+Shoe+Wheel!

I don't know if you have a lot of stuffed animals in your house, but you could hang it on the wall and put a stuffed animal in each section.

You could turn it into a giant lazy-suzan.

You could make a big ferris-wheel photo frame:
http://indoors.pricegrabber.com/picture-frames/Godinger-Silver-plated-Ferris-Wheel-Photo/m49982041.html

Or, you could send it to me - as I am very envious.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vegan Chocolate Avocado Pudding Recipe
How to Make Pop Rocks Firecracker Cakes
How to Make Patriotic Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Walnut Bread Recipe
Techniques for Perfectly Frosting Your Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...