A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Poor Girl's Doctor Who Scarf -- First Time Knitter!  (Read 3302 times)
Tags for this thread: dr_who , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2009 11:38:23 AM »

"It's a pity about the scarf. Madame Nostradamus made it for me. Witty little knitter. ... Never get another one like it."
The Doctor (Doctor Who: The Ark in Space)

The Doctor's scarf has a multitude of uses (liken it to a towel, if you will), including disarming a gunman, taking measurements ("That's 162.4 cm, correct?" "Show off." "162.4... That's about seven stitches!"), or attempting to determine if an attacking machine is triggered by heat. It's also quite fashionable and quirky, just like the Doctor.

Unfortunately, mine is far less quirky.

This is because I am a first-time knitter and a college student. The former means that I made a whole heap of beginner's mistakes, and the latter means that I am poor and incapable of paying for enough wool yarn to knit a true Doctor Who scarf. I instead used some very soft acrylic yarn. (I do wish I had the money to make a proper wool scarf, but, honestly, crunch the numbers--they aren't pleasant!) But, you can tell that the yellow acrylic is of a much poorer quality than the rest.

And, finally, it's about three to four and two-thirds feet too short. Tom Baker is 6'3" and I am 5'2" and so a 18-20' long scarf is sort of impractical for a girl like me. (And, also a Doctor like him, but I have ceaseless enjoyment from how many times he steps on it, has to flip it over his shoulder, or how far behind him it drags along the ground. But, truly, there is no scarf spiffier.)

Anyway, since I used acrylic I had to alter the pattern a bit. I found the pattern at http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/ and used size 7 needles like suggested, but thicker, cheaper yarn, so I altered the number of stitches from 70 to 45.

I struggled with color changes at first and couldn't figure out why they kept flipping around onto the other side, but, after a few tries, I figured it out and now I'm basically a pro! Wink

I love the tassels, and I preferred them long instead of short. Grin

I did end up putting the scarf on an indefinite hold--see, it's at 14 1/3 feet, but its "goal" is another 3 2/3-4 2/3 feet, at least that's how I judge it by eying the Doctor's scarf. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to continue knitting it and seeing as how it's getting on to winter, I'd truly like a scarf to wear.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share how my first knitting project went. Smiley Now I just need to figure out how to properly weave in the ends... I didn't do it very well!

Oh, and, of course, many thanks to my sister for teaching me how to knit, talking me through problems, and helping me to untangle huge messes of yarn!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009 11:43:23 AM by cassiege » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009 12:12:29 PM »

That's one heck of a great scarf!  I want one! But I don't handle a lot of extra length very well, either! You did a great job getting the stitches to the back in the color changes. I would have left them as part of the design. But that's just me!
  As for the ends, use a yarn needle; and weaving them thru across the work is better, I think, since the edges may be a bit loose. If the pieces are too short, weave your needle thru, with just the eye poking out, you should be able to get even 1" of yarn thru it, and pull the needle thru! Presto, it's gone!
If you prefer going on the edge, try weaving your needle in a wrapping type of stitch.. kind of like an overcast... does that make sense?
Then trim the ends poking out.
 Enjoy your new scarf!! I'm sure it's going to be quite an attention-getter!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009 12:13:43 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009 12:13:51 PM »

Love love love your scarf! Doctor Who is my hero!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
stellaheartocean

inappropriate in every way imaginable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009 05:33:34 PM »

Hey, looks great to me! I saw a guy dressed as The Doctor on Halloween...we had a good conversation about his scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gunstreetgirl on Ravelry
www.varnishedvalkyr ie.blogspot.com
Hellz Bellz
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009 04:27:41 AM »

Very nice!The Dr would be pround ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would dig a thousand holes,to lie next to you...I would dig a thousand more if I needed too <3
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009 07:28:44 AM »

Awesome Doctor Who Scarf!  And a very accomplished first knit project! 
The colours stand out really nice, and having used acrylic means its less likely to stretch out and get even longer =)  I made one for my husband for xmas a couple of years back, making it in wool was mighty pricy, and its grown an extra 1-2ft in the wearing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009 01:05:56 PM »

Thank you everyone for such nice comments! Smiley

KLKing, thank you for the helpful information about weaving in ends! I need all the help I can get. Wink

Nven, thanks for the information about wool stretching. I had not known that! (*sigh* I'm such a newbie...) My sister knitted a scarf with bamboo yarn and said it stretched a good foot... (though I am aware that's not wool. Grin)

Thanks again, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
milksmom
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009 07:57:43 AM »

Impressive first project! Kudos!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009 08:08:52 AM by milksmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
speakeasy
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009 06:42:41 AM »

Wow, long! You did a great job! I love the colors, very Dr. Who!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Banana, Caramel and Hazelnut Baked Alaska Recipe
Salted Chocolate and Gooey Caramel Cookie Recipe
How to Make Homemade Frozen Fudge Bars
Pinwheel Cherry Pie Recipe
How to Make a Cornmeal-Berry Sheet Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...