A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,920
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keep my tootsies warm swap  (Read 1093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2009 10:46:31 AM »

So I really am wanting to learn how to knit socks on circular needles (I've done loom socks before) and thought that this would be a great swap idea, with the colder months coming upon us! Who would join and when would be good for you? This would be a small swap, maybe just 1 pair of socks and 2-3 smalls.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009 11:01:23 AM by DizzerSpinninRound » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009 11:31:05 AM »

One pair of socks is not exactly small to me... Depending on yarn weight and pattern it could be anything between a "large medium" and a "huge" item. But it's a neat idea for a swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oyhana
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009 11:46:47 AM »

I would love to knit someone a pair of socks, but it would be considered a large item for me as well.  I'll probably join depending on how much time we had, 2-3 smalls plus a pair of socks could be a lot of work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009 12:35:43 PM »

Sorry, I didn't clarify. The sock would be a large and then you could include two or three smalls for your partner. Smalls could be store bought items like supplies. I think 4-6 weeks for craft time.

Or 1 large (the socks) and 1 medium, and 1 small. So you could send 1 pair of socks, and material for your partner to continue making socks (materials such as a favorite sock pattern that you came up with and some yarn or needles that your partner doesn't have).

I have no idea about when sign ups should be. I'm good with December or January.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009 01:24:17 PM »

Hmmm... I don't think I'd enter a sock swap with socks + medium + large since the socks itself is a very "large" item for me to craft. I could probably crank out a pair in a month without hurting myself if I used thicker yarn and my partner didn't have too large feet. Smiley For socks in thinner yarn it takes about two months for me to make myself a pair if I don't slack too much. Ok, I don't knit non-stop, but that'll give you an idea of the work and time involved for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009 04:10:33 PM »

I knit obsessively, but it still takes me awhile to get things done Grin Okay so one pair of socks, 6 weeks to craft and include maybe one skein of yarn for your partner to make another pair later?

My idea was to help your partner to continue making socks by giving them yarn to do so along with the crafted pair of socks you made for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mstelena
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009 08:08:29 PM »

I just started knitting socks (about 6 weeks ago) and it's my new obsession (I've done a pair of kilt hose, two regular length pair, and one ankle length pair since then... and three pairs of wristwarmers.... this is what we call the 'up-side' of being laid-off work... but I digress). 

I was hoping there was a sock swap going on. I'm certainly interested.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009 08:03:00 AM »

Okay, so we need an organizer for this and estimated time frame that would work best for everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009 06:02:37 AM »

This sounds really interesting, though I couldn't even contemplate it until mid-December at the earliest (working on my first official swap now).  I've never knit socks, but it sounds fun!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009 10:02:11 AM »

Wow I have 71 different yarns wist http://www.wists.com/pickledpandas/yarn Crazy! I haven't even ventured into wisting yarn on etsy yet...
There's a book I can't get from the library and is too expensive for me to buy, but it teaches you how to knit socks two at a time using 16" and 29" circs. The book I have from the library now teaches you how to do it on 40" circs, which you pretty much have to order online:P
I'm thinking mid to late January for sign-ups and March for send-offs. I won't be able to organize because I'll be organizing the poppet swap at that time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Totally Different Ways to Wear Cutoffs
5 Hottest Swimsuit Trends for Summer
How To Choose The Best Swimsuit For Your Body
Bobbie Thomas Joins Marlo Thomas
Choosing the Right Fit for Your Body
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...