A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: skirt from men's slacks...turned out really cute UPDATES WITH TUTORIAL!!!  (Read 2507 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silence.est.harmony
« on: November 07, 2009 05:14:39 PM »

I had a mad battle with this skirt!  I didn't want to go with the typical slack dress...I was originally going for wide leg dress pants for me.  However, I started by trying them on to see how much I would have to cut off the top.  Well, when I was putting it together, I noticed a hole, which I was going to make a pocket for, but forgot, so I sewed it asymmetrically so I could "get rid of the hole".  I also sewed the zipper down too far so there was a space at the top where the fabric should have met, but it was my second zipper ever, first with the zipper foot, and it turned out awesome Smiley  Overall really pleased with how it turned out especially since I had to battle with it.....questions, comments, all feedback is appreciated Smiley

**You asked for it, so here it is....sorry for the bad illustrations :/

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=304727&ppuser=160814

1) Cut off the waistband.  The pockets may come with it too, depending on how you cut it.  You can save them for later or use them to make pockets with (some have really cool patterns on them).

2) Rip your seams...you can really get some aggression out on this one!  I started out with a seam ripper, but then gave it up and just ripped it apart.  A word of caution....use your seam ripper when you take out the zipper, that way it will be easier and less frayed for when you sew it in later Smiley  You only want to rip the inseam and the zipper off, do not worry about the side seams.

3) You should have your main piece right now, a zipper, and a waistband.  Cut the rest of the legs off and turn your piece so that the cuffs of the bottom of your pant are now your top.

4) Sew your legs together along one seam.....it should just be a flap of fabric.

5) Cut the bottom of you skirt similar how you want it, but you will cut it again in a later step so don't cut it too short unless that is what you are going for.  This will allow you more fabric to work with, as well as making it easier to have an even edge for when you attach the ribbon.  When you cut it, think A-line skirt, so, it should be an "A" shape.

6) Ignore this step....I have no idea why I put this picture in here....it doesn't make sense.  I think I was trying to multitask too much :-/

7) Sew your "A" shape to you flap of fabric, so that the shorter edge is at the top (by the cuff) and the longer edge is at the bottom.  Make sure that the top of your "A" shape is a little taller than your actual fabric flap.  That way you can fold it over later to finish it so it won't fray.

Cool Sew in your zipper!!!!  This was the most exciting part for me since it was my second zipper ever.  I was so proud!  I would highly suggest using a zipper foot, makes it so much easier.  But DO NOT try to do a zig-zag stitch while you have a zipper foot on your machine!  My needle broke instantly, lol.

9) Pin together the rest of the two sides together below the zipper and continue to sew to the bottom.  You now have a skirt! Stitch around the top of your skirt over cuff and fold excess fabric down from your extra piece of fabric you added.

10) Embellish your skirt.  I just added ribbon on the side and a bow with contrasting thread.  I also added two pieces of ribbon to tie together above my zipper because I sewed my zipper too low.  After you're done decorating, cut bottom how you want, so it is even.  Use zig-zag stitch to finish off bottom.

This is my first tut, so if there are any problems, let me know.  That and I ran into so many problems, I somewhat lost track of what piece of fabric was what (that's why I had an extra step).  So this is how I remembered I did it to the best of my abilities.  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012 10:23:42 AM by jungrrl - Reason: inserted full size pictures instead of thumbnails. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stephi <3

http://craftyelements.blogspot.com/

http://handmadehoney.etsy.com/
---------
"cats always land on their feet, and buttered toast always lands butter side down.  what happens if you strap buttered bread to the back of a cat?  perpetual levitation device?"
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009 05:57:34 PM »

I think this skirt is pretty darn cute!
Nice work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizziebird
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 06:12:38 PM »

I love it! You did a terrific job. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mosaicwings

Station Wagon Fruitcake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009 08:27:09 PM »

i love the contrasting detail along the left side Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemissartist

Reality continues to ruin my life.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009 10:10:05 PM »

OMG! tute please! I must make a similar skirt!!!!!!!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calvin: "I'm never gonna get married. Are you?"
Hobbes: "Hmm...I suppose if the right person came along, I might. Someone with green eyes and a nice laugh, who I could call 'Pooty Pie'."
Calvin: "POOTY PIE?"
Hobbes: "Or bitsy pookums."
HuricanBlue
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009 11:16:45 AM »

Loved how these turned out! One of the coolest skirt-from-slacks projects I've seen.
I'm really digging the asymmetry, makes for a much more interesting skirt than I would have done! Great job  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LonelySparrow
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009 05:12:32 PM »

omg! that is so adorable!
can u post a tute please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoSwiftly
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009 06:52:51 AM »

very cute. and way to stick with it. after so many little things happening, i would've just thrown it to the wolves (or at least the bottom of my stash Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"what am I gonna do with a gun rack?"
LonelySparrow
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009 01:07:12 PM »

thanks for posting the tute!
i wanna try it but im gonna procastinate >.>
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...