A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jane Austen Dress  (Read 1863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

embercostumer
« on: November 07, 2009 12:24:24 PM »

Since my primary Halloween event this year was the National Novel Writing Month Kickoff Party at the local comic book shop Dragon's Lair, and included a costume contest, I figured what better costume than one of the greatest writers of all time? Bonus points because I've always wanted to make a historically accurate-ish Regency costume!

Double bonus points for me because this entire costume was made from scraps, mostly left overs from when I fixed up my wedding dress.

I made chemise long ago during an ice storm where I was locked in my dorm for a few days with nothing else do to...

The corset is a short one, using leftover white twill from my husband's ren fair shirt and some pink bedsheet for the inside lining. I bound it with pink bias tape.

For the dress, I hand-dyed the nasty bright white faux-satin into something pretty, a nice lavender color. Which was more than I was expecting, since the crappy faux-satin is more plastic than fiber. But I was glad to have some use for it, since it was originally the entire underskirt for my wedding dress, hence the replacing of it with real satin for the wedding.

I used Simplicity 4055 as a pattern, but changed it up to suit my liking. The split skirt was totally an accident, because I started to cut the back placket in the wrong side. I almost flipped out before I realized I could still salvage it as a split skirt, and rounded up some leftover beautiful real white satin for the underskirt. I played around with piping for the first time ever and loved it. If I had more time I would have probably piped every seam in the whole dress, lol! I also added a string of beading under the bust. The only thing on the dress I'm unhappy with accuracy wise is the elastic on arm holes. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess) I've been working out a crapload and the arm pieces I cut out and sewed for the mock up no longer fit me by my final fitting. Alas, I said, it was only Halloween!

I topped it off with a regency-accurate hairstyle and bonnet for when I went outside.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
Hadassah
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009 12:59:26 PM »

Awesome! Man, I love everything you do. Great job! You definitely have a fan here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 05:54:54 PM »

Oooh! Lovely. I'd love to have a simpler version to wear in the summers. I wonder if I can find a pattern for a size 20....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MooseDeEvita
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010 07:44:09 AM »

that purple is lovely on you, and the entire thing came out very beautiful.  I like that you were able to find a use for some ugly fabric and still make it look that good Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Director Mike Newell on How to Work With Actors
EXPOzed #33 - HD Expo 2008 - MACCAM Lighting
How To Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 5
How To Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches Ep4
How To Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...