A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jane Austen Dress  (Read 1824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

embercostumer
« on: November 07, 2009 12:24:24 PM »

Since my primary Halloween event this year was the National Novel Writing Month Kickoff Party at the local comic book shop Dragon's Lair, and included a costume contest, I figured what better costume than one of the greatest writers of all time? Bonus points because I've always wanted to make a historically accurate-ish Regency costume!

Double bonus points for me because this entire costume was made from scraps, mostly left overs from when I fixed up my wedding dress.

I made chemise long ago during an ice storm where I was locked in my dorm for a few days with nothing else do to...

The corset is a short one, using leftover white twill from my husband's ren fair shirt and some pink bedsheet for the inside lining. I bound it with pink bias tape.

For the dress, I hand-dyed the nasty bright white faux-satin into something pretty, a nice lavender color. Which was more than I was expecting, since the crappy faux-satin is more plastic than fiber. But I was glad to have some use for it, since it was originally the entire underskirt for my wedding dress, hence the replacing of it with real satin for the wedding.

I used Simplicity 4055 as a pattern, but changed it up to suit my liking. The split skirt was totally an accident, because I started to cut the back placket in the wrong side. I almost flipped out before I realized I could still salvage it as a split skirt, and rounded up some leftover beautiful real white satin for the underskirt. I played around with piping for the first time ever and loved it. If I had more time I would have probably piped every seam in the whole dress, lol! I also added a string of beading under the bust. The only thing on the dress I'm unhappy with accuracy wise is the elastic on arm holes. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess) I've been working out a crapload and the arm pieces I cut out and sewed for the mock up no longer fit me by my final fitting. Alas, I said, it was only Halloween!

I topped it off with a regency-accurate hairstyle and bonnet for when I went outside.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.c om
Hadassah
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009 12:59:26 PM »

Awesome! Man, I love everything you do. Great job! You definitely have a fan here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 05:54:54 PM »

Oooh! Lovely. I'd love to have a simpler version to wear in the summers. I wonder if I can find a pattern for a size 20....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MooseDeEvita
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010 07:44:09 AM »

that purple is lovely on you, and the entire thing came out very beautiful.  I like that you were able to find a use for some ugly fabric and still make it look that good Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Silver Filigree
The Art of Kilim Carpets
The Art of Felt Making
The Art of Turkish Glass Blowing
The Art of Ebru
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...