Since my primary Halloween event this year was the National Novel Writing Month Kickoff Party at the local comic book shop Dragon's Lair, and included a costume contest, I figured what better costume than one of the greatest writers of all time? Bonus points because I've always wanted to make a historically accurate-ish Regency costume!
Double bonus points for me because this entire costume was made from scraps, mostly left overs from when I fixed up my wedding dress.
I made chemise long ago during an ice storm where I was locked in my dorm for a few days with nothing else do to...
The corset is a short one, using leftover white twill from my husband's ren fair shirt and some pink bedsheet for the inside lining. I bound it with pink bias tape.
For the dress, I hand-dyed the nasty bright white faux-satin into something pretty, a nice lavender color. Which was more than I was expecting, since the crappy faux-satin is more plastic than fiber. But I was glad to have some use for it, since it was originally the entire underskirt for my wedding dress, hence the replacing of it with real satin for the wedding.
I used Simplicity 4055 as a pattern, but changed it up to suit my liking. The split skirt was totally an accident, because I started to cut the back placket in the wrong side. I almost flipped out before I realized I could still salvage it as a split skirt, and rounded up some leftover beautiful real white satin for the underskirt. I played around with piping for the first time ever and loved it. If I had more time I would have probably piped every seam in the whole dress, lol! I also added a string of beading under the bust. The only thing on the dress I'm unhappy with accuracy wise is the elastic on arm holes. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess) I've been working out a crapload and the arm pieces I cut out and sewed for the mock up no longer fit me by my final fitting. Alas, I said, it was only Halloween!
I topped it off with a regency-accurate hairstyle and bonnet for when I went outside.