A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,192
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Heart Pillows for Breast Cancer Patients  (Read 3734 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tamarama
« on: November 07, 2009 10:34:45 AM »

I'd like to join a sewing group in the Atlanta, GA area that makes these for BC patients.  I'm not having much luck finding one.  Can anybody help?

http://www.heartpillow.dk/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009 07:45:45 AM »

Those are great. Maybe if you can't find one, you can start it yourself. I think it's such a wonderful idea and craft to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tamarama
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009 10:24:15 AM »

Thanks, Kitty!   

I have lots of crafty friends and neighbors. Smiley  I think 'stuffing parties' could be a lot of fun, too.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemisscraft

Crafting through cancer and sharing my crafts!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009 11:12:04 AM »

That's a wonderful thing you want to do, Tamarama!  As a cancer patient, I know that the breast cancer patients will really appreciate your heart pillows!  Post some pictures of your heart pillows here when you make them!

Take care,
lil miss
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009 01:06:35 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Living life filled with hope and sharing my crafts with you at my website and my Twitter!**
Tamarama
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009 12:47:09 PM »

Thanks, Littlemisscraft!  I'm so sorry you are dealing with cancer!  It just sucks, there's no other way to put it...  Sad 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer this year.  I made it through surgery but I would have really appreciated a little gift like one of those pillows. 

I'm starting radiation next week.  I'm not sure how much energy I'll have for crafting during rads but I definitely want to do this-  I don't want anyone else going home without at least a pillow..  it's the little things that matter,  yk?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemisscraft

Crafting through cancer and sharing my crafts!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009 03:38:55 PM »

Hang in there, Tamarama!  I had sarcoma, and I went through surgery, radiation and chemo.  It's important to take one day at a time.  I think it's great that you're thinking about how to bless other people during this trial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Living life filled with hope and sharing my crafts with you at my website and my Twitter!**
curiocait
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009 08:56:47 PM »

This is such a cool project!
I live in a little town in Oklahoma, and a new cancer center this year!
I am definitely going to make some of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tamarama
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009 08:28:49 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement, littlemisscraft!  Smiley  I'm so glad you're done with surgery, rads and chemo!  Whew!  Cheesy

Curiocait, that's awesome!  Cheesy  Thank you so much for wanting to make the pillows!  The patients will really appreciate them.  I used a regular pillow under my arm, but the shape of these heart pillows is much better for after SNB surgery/axillary dissection, which is often done during BC surgery. 

You guys rock!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curiocait
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009 08:01:10 PM »

Tamarama,
Do you know any good sites that explain what exactly the SNB axillary surgery is?
I would like to approach the cancer center well researched!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tamarama
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009 08:10:19 AM »

Hi curiocait!  Smiley  This page explains axillary lymph node dissection and sentinel lymph node biopsies-  it's about half way down the page.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_4X_Surgery_5.asp?sitearea=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curiocait
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009 06:21:56 PM »

Thank you so much! It helped out a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady_41701
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010 03:04:56 PM »

I was inspired to make these after seeing your post. I have a friend that works at our local hospital and she helped me find a place to donate mine here in town.
I was not a cancer patient but I did have a major breast  reduction surgery and the seat belt was a nightmare! I would have loved to of had one of these post op for a few weeks.

During my visits I meet several ladies in the waiting area that were cancer patients that were going through reconstruction surgery. So that's a thought that you might want to check with  plastic surgery clinics also.

I guess I would have never thought about a plastic surgery center if I had not had the personal experience with one.  When you hear plastic surgery you think of elective things but they are the ones there for the cancer survivors that are going through the steps to help women get back to "normal". I'm not sure what all is involved with reconstruction but when I had my reduction I was cut pretty much from arm pit to arm pit other than about 2 inches in the center of my chest. So with that many  inches of  cut tissue and stitches you can see how the seat belt was  my enemy for awhile,,,lol.

I made a "sample pillow" with attached note containing the the web site address along with the pillow usage info to show as a model. If you look for a place by phone maybe you could ask to email them the info for them to view. That way they know what an awesome thing it really is and can tell you if they would have a need for them.
I thought I would share that info so maybe you can widen your search . I hope you find a donation place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemisspoof
http://www.www.wists.com/littlemisspoof

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010 01:31:13 PM »

That is so clever.  I remember how much pain my mom was in in that area. =/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It isn't dangerous to confuse children with angels."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outside The Box: Spicy Turducken
Check Out The Healthiest Hotel Food
Weight Watchers Swap and Drop on Turkey Day
Holiday Home Cooking With Paula Deen
Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe with a Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...