A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Pajama Pants - using a ready made pair as a pattern  (Read 10991 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_gift_man , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009 10:37:33 PM »

I can't believe I did it! I'm so proud!!

I make quilts...I make messes...I even made a kid once.  BUT I have never been able to make clothing of any kind.  It's like as soon as one of my creations gets close enough to a human body to be considered clothing, it shrivels up and unravels and becomes a worthless tangle of knotted thread and fabric.  And whenever I have thought about making clothes, the patterns seem to be written in a foreign language and my brain fries just looking at it.

So when I saw this tut I thought, might as well not even try, it'll be a disaster.

But then my two year old niece came and sat on my lap and I got to looking at the little leggings she had on.  They were adorable, of course, but they would be even more adorable made out of this purple flannel with farm animals all over that I got the other day.  Before I really let myself think twice about it, I got to cutting and sewing.

I came across two small snags - one, I could not for the life of me understand the step about sewing the crotch seams, and ended up sewing a pair of pants that you couldn't pull on because there was a seam right through the middle, lol.  So I googled "how to sew the crotch in pants", and within minutes realized where I'd gone wrong, ripped the stitches out and fixed the problem.

The second snag still isn't fixed but because these are just lounging around the house pants, I'm not that worried about it.  I didn't hem the ankles because I'm not really sure how yet.  I plan on looking at tuts for that when I'm done posting.

Okay, enough typing, here's the pants in action.

She was trying to kung fu chop me in the hallway outside my room.  She's a little...rambunctio us. 

There really isn't a funny spot in that crotch seam, it's just the way she's standing.  She was crawling up on my bed and my husband told her to get down, so she was kind of in limbo while she looked for the next thing she could get into, which is why I got this picture at all.

And then she finally found something else to dig into, my date book.  Here you can see the unhemmed bottom.  It's also the selvage edge of the fabric so I'm not too worried about it getting messed up before I can figure out to hem.

And don't look at the waistband too closely either, this was for sure a learning experience! 

She loves them so much she wouldn't let us take 'em off her to change her diaper.  She kept yelling "Mine!" and trying to put them back on, so I guess they won her approval!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009 01:26:45 PM »

Bethie!

Oh my goodness!!!! My son is napping right now so I am afraid to sneak into his room for fear of waking him but the SECOND he wakes up he is getting a pair of these!!!!!  Believe it or not YOU have inspired me almost more than the original post. The pants you made are ADORABLE! I have a couple hours this afternoon, maybeall the kids can have a pair for tonight!!!! Oh! I am so excited!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009 02:23:55 PM »

I am so happy I helped inspire you!!  You just made my day.  You have to show us what you come up with!

I am getting ready to make my 8 year old daughter a pair of these too.  Does anyone have any good tutorials on elastic waistband casings?  I muddled my way through the other ones but I'd like to see how it's done properly.  I tried google but it's failing me. :/  Off ot youtube...if I find something that is helpful I can post it here if anyone's interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009 07:36:01 PM »

those kids pants are so cute! I want that fabric for myself! (I'm 23 lol)
I am so happy I helped inspire you!!  You just made my day.  You have to show us what you come up with!

I am getting ready to make my 8 year old daughter a pair of these too.  Does anyone have any good tutorials on elastic waistband casings?  I muddled my way through the other ones but I'd like to see how it's done properly.  I tried google but it's failing me. :/  Off ot youtube...if I find something that is helpful I can post it here if anyone's interested.

What I do is sew a line evenly around the top of the pants, then fold the waist down on that line and stitch it down with a zig-zag or straight stitch.

Most sewing machines have markings on them for measurements. I use this to sew my line making sure the edge of the fabric is on or at that line the whole way around the pant.

Pick a line that is about 1/4 more than your elastic width.

Once you've sewn the fabric down I pull he threads to the inside and tie off.  Then I make a tiny slit on the back side of this "casing" with my seam ripper.
Put a safety pin in one end of the elastic and pin to the fabric so it can't pull through. (trust me this is important)
Then put a pin through the other end and use that to guide through the casing.  When you get the elastic through your fabric will be really wrinkled up. Pin (with a sewing pin) the  two ends of elastic together and stitch either by hand or with your sewing machine and WHA LA elastic casing!

If that makes sense but not then I can try to make a tut but It will be a few days. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009 07:41:17 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009 09:26:46 PM »

Okay, it sounds like I wasn't too far off the mark then.  I folded down the edge about an inch, stitched it shut, then threaded the elastic through (and yes, the safety pin is a magic trick that I lovvveee!) and then stitched it all shut.  It sounds like I just missed one step, folding it down and stitching, then folding down at that line and stitching again.  I will try again tomorrow morning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009 12:44:59 PM »

I'm curious if you think this would work with pants that have a fold over waist?
I have a pair (I call them my ninja pants) that are super comfy and I've been wanting to do basically the same thing with them but have been hessitant becasue of the waist band.
But if I'm thinking correctly a fold over waistband is sort of doing the same thing elastic would right?

Sure!!  Just include the waistband in your measurements.  Yes, you're right with the fold over waistband being the same as the elastic thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Another Jennifer
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010 12:53:27 PM »

This is my second year making Xmas PJ's for my family of four using your awesome pattern.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen

I blogged whatever project you are looking at right here:  jenniferfalkowski.c om/
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010 09:41:53 AM »

How funny! Since my last post I have made maybe 6 pairs for the kids and a couple for hubby and me. Last night I cut out 6 more pairs for the kids and the neighbors kids for Christmas. This was my first pair I made. These are still on his list of favorites! I made them from an old pair of my sisters jammies that had holes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Modify Colors with Hue/Saturation
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Fade Command
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Variations
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...