A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
796 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Pajama Pants - using a ready made pair as a pattern  (Read 11030 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_gift_man , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 06, 2009 10:13:06 PM »

After reading Craftsters post on Facebook, I felt it was, again, time to give back!!  This tutorial is assuming you have basic sewing knowledge.

Firstly, choose a pair of pajama pants (or any comfy pants at that matter) with elasticized or draw string waist.  These are the ones I chose.  They are capri length - but you could do any length - from shorts to longs.

Start by turning the pants inside out.  Then place one leg inside the other, like this:

Fold the fabric parallel to the selvedge (this takes care of directional fabric).  You can fold it the other way if you don't have directional fabric.  Place the pants on the two layers of fabric:

Cut the fabric (through both layers of fabric) following the seam lines as a guide plus adding a little extra as you cut.  This allows for the fact that the pants aren't laying completely flat and the fabric you are cutting is.  Also, when you get to the seat of the pants on the outer leg, you basically cut a straight line from the hip area - DON'T follow the curve in.  The reason is that the elastic is pulling in the sides.  The same rule applies for the crotch seam.  Start cutting at the curve of the crotch seam but basically go in a straight line after the curve (refer to the photo to visualize this).  Also you need to allow for a hem at the bottom and an elastic casing at the top.  

You will also see that the elastic casing at the top of my ready made pants varies by about an inch.  That's because pants are usually 'higher' at the back than they are at the front.  This takes the backside into consideration.  I don't bother varying the waistline but you could angle the casing at the front if you desire - it gives a better fit.  In the case of my pants, it varies by about and inch from the centre back seam to the centre front seam.

How I calculate the casing:

Measure the width of the elastic then double that measurement.  Mine was approximately 1 inch wide.  I allowed 2 inches for the casing.  An explanation of how I use this calculation is further down when it comes time to sew the casing.

This is one leg cut out.  Cut another leg using this as a pattern.

Now, there are many ways to construct pants but this is my favourite as you can't go too wrong with this method.  Take one leg and sew the outer leg seam.  BEFORE SEWING THE INNER LEG SEAM - press the leg hem allowance.  It makes sewing the hem so much easier if it's pressed now.  Then sew the inner leg seam.  REPEAT for the other leg.

See where I pressed the hem first?:

Now, you've got two legs:

Turn one leg right side out:

Place this leg inside the other one:

Sew the crotch seam:

Press the leg hem again.  Also make your casing using your favourite method.  This is how I do my casings:  Remember I added 2 inches from the top of the pants?  I press the top down by 2 inches.  I then press the raw edges under enough so that the casing is 1 1/4 inches (my elastic is 1 inch).  This allows a little 'give' in the casing.  Sew the casing down leaving a gap to insert the elastic.  Thread elastic through and measure the elastic on your waist/hips (wherever you like to wear your pants).  Sew elastic together then sew the casing closed.  To avoid the elastic curling and twisting inside the casing, I sew a vertical line at each side seam to secure the elastic.  

Tip:  It's better to make a casing for your elastic rather than sewing the elastic onto the fabric.  Once you start sewing through elastic (especially lengthwise) it starts to lose its elasticity and also stretches the elastic as you are also pulling on the elastic as you stitch it to the fabric.  

Turn your pants right side out and press.  Voila, pyjama pants made from your favourite pair!!

As always, please feel free to ask any questions or if you would like something explained further.  Wink

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013 11:40:57 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Le Mieux
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009 05:14:15 AM »

thank you so much for this tutorial!!! ive been wanting to make a pair of comfy house-slouch-trousers but havent really found a pattern i like....this is perfect tho as i can use my almost-worn-out-favourites.

if i have a go at this i'll try post up here to show you how it turned out!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 06:02:42 AM »

awesome!  and that was quick!  thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eirinnkelly
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009 07:55:33 AM »

Thanks for the tute! I've had some fabric for years that I wanted to make into pj's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christina_209
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009 09:59:43 AM »

Thank You for the tute cant wait to try your method  I have some pjs waiting to be made *bookmark*  Thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009 11:48:34 AM »

Thanks for your kind words!  Pants/shorts were the first clothing item I learned to make and they're sooo easy.

awesome!  and that was quick!  thanks for the tute!

And, believe me, they're quick to make!!  I made these (including taking photos) in the time it took my washing machine to do a load - about an hour!  I can make a pair in about 1/2 hour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rbeforee
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009 09:09:15 AM »

This tute is so well made. I really appreciate your step by step pics and the fact that you chose a fabric that is so clearly front or back. Thanks so much for taking the time to share Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Optimization hinders evolution.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009 10:08:37 AM »

I'm curious if you think this would work with pants that have a fold over waist?
I have a pair (I call them my ninja pants) that are super comfy and I've been wanting to do basically the same thing with them but have been hessitant becasue of the waist band.
But if I'm thinking correctly a fold over waistband is sort of doing the same thing elastic would right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lime_rising

Careful or i'll use my pretend ninja skills on you

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009 06:30:37 PM »

I just made myself a pair! So easy, took me at the most 20 min (including finding fabric >_>)
Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The girl is crafty like ice is cold!

"Please don't disillusion me- I haven't had breakfast yet." - Ender Wiggin, Children of the Mind
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009 03:43:56 PM »

Most Awesome tute EVER!! thanks so much for this!! I just got the most awesome white flannel with pink and purple hippos on it and wanted to make a pair of pj pants out of it!! yea!! THANK YOU!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Martha Stewart Makes a Beautiful Menorah
Festive Wrapping-Paper Coasters
Holiday Glittered Hurricanes
How to Create Vegetable Vessels for Dips
Gourd Gobbler Centerpiece
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...