A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,346
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lotus flower - pixel art using ms excel!  (Read 7549 times)
Tags for this thread: pixel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

minc
« on: November 06, 2009 09:53:58 PM »

i have been looking around on the web for a free and idiot proof program to create pixel art, but could find nothing.

yesterday, i suddenly had an insight. why not make use of ms excel's grid table?
running a search on google, i found sites dedicated to excel art!!!
there is even a simple tutorial: http://www.labnol.org/software/spreadsheet-art-painting-with-excel/6074/
i think the background function is only available on the latest ms office though.

my creation:

original picture from stockphoto:

wanted to do a lotus flower cos its beautiful and symbolizes life and purity.
i grayscaled it to emphasize the actual flower rather than the colours.
from searching for an appropriate picture to completion took me about 2 hrs.

it was easy and fun to do, requiring just a little patience =D
i really love how it turned out, and now im really tempted to make a mosaic out of it!

comments are welcome, and post your own attempts too~!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009 11:23:47 PM by minc » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009 06:11:24 AM »

Okay, that is genius. I never would have thought of this, but now I have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bennaka1010
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 06:18:50 AM »

Very neat! I am doing a pixelated painting on canvas right now! It is a 36"x40" canvas so it's huge! It's going to be a pixelated painting of John Mayer (a gift for my brother). I was also looking for a site that gave me not only a pixelated version of the picture that I wanted to create, but also a number system so that I could transfer the right shades to the correct places on the painting. My friend got me a kit for my birthday that came with paints and paper to print out the grid. The kit instructed me to go to diyart.com. You can go there and upload photos and then it gives you a paint-by-numbers grid to print out. I had to make a huge grid of 4800 1/2" squares onto the canvas  Shocked But it still helped a huge amount! Now I'm in the process of painstakingly painting each number. Yeesh. So I feel your pain! Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minc
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009 05:22:20 AM »

Very neat! I am doing a pixelated painting on canvas right now! It is a 36"x40" canvas so it's huge! It's going to be a pixelated painting of John Mayer (a gift for my brother). I was also looking for a site that gave me not only a pixelated version of the picture that I wanted to create, but also a number system so that I could transfer the right shades to the correct places on the painting. My friend got me a kit for my birthday that came with paints and paper to print out the grid. The kit instructed me to go to diyart.com. You can go there and upload photos and then it gives you a paint-by-numbers grid to print out. I had to make a huge grid of 4800 1/2" squares onto the canvas  Shocked But it still helped a huge amount! Now I'm in the process of painstakingly painting each number. Yeesh. So I feel your pain! Haha.

ohhh thks for sharing that website, very convenient indeed!

but one thing i like about ms excel is it gives me more control and its actually quite versatile. you can add rows/columns/cells as u wish, copy paste, undo, add numbers/formulas etc. (im beginning to sound like a microsoft evangelist! lol)
best of all, allows u to edit freely and create your own original pictures.

wow ur 4800 squares pixelated painting sure is a lot of work... but im sure it will be worth the time and effort! *envy ur bro*
just curious, how many shades/colours are u using?
do upload the painting when its done, i cant wait to c it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bennaka1010
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009 08:48:25 AM »

I'm using 15 shades. That website/kit has 15 different numbers..1 being the lightest (white) thru 15 being the darkest (black). Should be interesting. It's turning out well so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009 07:45:02 AM »

This is an amazing discovery.  I definitely will be trying this with my excel.  Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
bennaka1010
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009 08:33:16 PM »

Finally finished my pixelated painting of John Mayer...Just thought I would share..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuvaMyChevy
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010 01:54:32 PM »

I was looking for a program also, i want to make a coraline pixel quilt... this is so awesome that you figured this out, now i can steal your idea  Grin thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comics Run: Before Watchmen the Comedia
Saint Jude Film
T.C. Boyle on Incorporating Environmentalism in Art
Looking Under the Surface of a Renoir Masterpiece
‘I Am 8-Bit’ Art Show Opening 2008
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...