A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I ripped up my prom dress....FOR THE HONOR OF GREYSKULL!!!  (Read 25071 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , costume_idea  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolspeak
« on: November 06, 2009 08:57:06 PM »

I am sooo excited about my costume this year....SHE-RA!!! YAY! 
anyway, it took me a week to figure out what to be because i have no money to spend on silly things like a costume so i only had the fabric i had at home Sad  i wanted so badly to have a Starfleet uniform!  but then i found my prom dress that had been sitting in my closet for almost 4 years now, scrunched in a lonely ball, sad Sad this is my first reeealll recon (i usually just do minor changes for fit and stuff)

It only took me 2 days, yay.  oh, and ps, dont worry, i didnt like my prom dress.  it was 20 dollars 3 days before prom...it was all that was left.  my mom was going to make it, but she had some personal stuff to deal with. 

Here's how i did it!  first i ripped the bodice from the skirts to take the 2 layers of tulle off.  then i ripped out the zipper and flipped the bodice inside out so the outside of the dress was all the same fabric and put the zipper back in.  then i hemmed it.  pretty simple!
For all the gold stuff i just used some brown felt-backed vinyl i had laying around and spray painted it gold.  then i used a lot of hot glue, lolz!

HERE IT IS!

..my arm bracer things are held on with packing tape, and the headband is held together with staples....classy, i know.

Here's a before pic:

and a little closer:

MOAR SHE-RA!
i spent most of the night running around trying to fly so my cape would look cool, lolz

ignore my stupid face..

i wore it to Freakfest on State St. in Madison...w00t!  but only 2 people recognized me Sad  one girl wanted her picture with me Smiley

YAY thanks for looking!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SaccharineSunshine04
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009 09:09:50 PM »

I didn't recognize it either, but it's so cute! I like the before and the after, but you look so much happier in the after. Good job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.wists.com/SaccharineSunshine04
You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
jacci
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009 09:15:45 PM »

This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

panickeddreamer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009 11:13:49 PM »

What a great recon!!!  I gotta say this though, I had to reread this post cuz I just glanced and the pictures and immediately that OMG its Anne Hathaway.  Especially the before of the prom dress!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flower
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009 05:37:59 AM »

You look AMAZING!  My little boys (ages 6 and 4) would have recognized you.  They found two ancient He-Man books at a garage sale over the summer and now they're huge fans.  Great job.  You look lovely in the prom dress, but the She-Ra costume is so much cooler.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lianatempera
Happiness is Created. Creating IS Happiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009 05:48:14 AM »

That is so awesome! I love She-Ra. so much so that when I was little, I named the family cat Aurora....but my dad always called her Hair-bag. oh, nostalgia....You did a great job, and you DO look like Anne Hathaway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009 05:53:29 AM »

Rock on!  She-ra is fan-freaking-tastic.  What a wonderful concept for a costume!   BTW it was a perfectly lovely prom dress, BUT it makes a great She-ra costume! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phoenixfiredesigns
~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009 08:25:51 AM »

I totally knew it was She-Ra from the thumbnail. Good job! The little details like the arm braceers and such really cinch it. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
McJulie-O
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009 08:27:55 AM »

Not to mention that the gold boots are the perfect accessory after the arm thingies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolspeak
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009 11:34:55 AM »

Thanks guys!! 

wow! i look like Anne Hathaway?! I've been told that like twice, ever....im not sure i totally see it, but THANKS! she's gorgeous!

McJulie-O:  the boots are my favorite part!  they were black, i havent worn then in 5 years.  after i painted them , i showed my mom and she screamed "YOU'LL LOOK LIKE A HOOKER!!" lolz!!  but i think they just make me look evem moooooar like She-ra!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland at Work
Meet Ebru Artist Bingul Sevimli
Ebru Demonstration by Bingul Sevimli
Meet Painter and Art Gallery Owner Adnan Aybek
Canvas Painting Lesson with Adnan Aybek
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...