My friend and I were roller disco ladies together for Halloween this year. However, since our apartment has a wood floor, I knew we would not be able to wear actual roller skates when we hosted our party this year. Hence, I had to do a little problem solving in the way of making some realistic-looking fake roller skates!
Here is a photo of our finished costumes in their entirety. We each made our own leg/wrist warmers too. I also made little sequined pink stars for the back of my shorts. We spent much of the time gliding across the floor in slo-mo TUTORIAL BELOW
Here is the pattern I drew out for my skates. You can see there are two pieces on either side of one thin piece down the center.
First I cut out muslin for the pattern. I measured the height from the ground to just above the ankle, the distance from the middle of the heel to the middle toe for circumference, and the distance around the ankle/lower calf. I left a 1/2" seam allowance all around.
I sewed the pieces together. The middle piece is the back of a skate.
After cutting out the approximate shape of the pattern from the muslin, I pinned everything in place. I added a circle piece to cover the toe, which does not show up well in this photo.
Here the circle toe cover piece shows up better.
Here is the pattern all traced onto the back of a piece of vinyl for two skates. The pieces include the the main body of each skate, a circle toe cover piece, and a tongue. You can see here that I added two cuts toward the front edge of each skate to try to obtain a curved appearance once sewn.
I sewed the top and bottom edges of each skate with a 1/2" seam allowance. This photo shows the top edge only.
I sewed the front together by turning it inside out and sewing. Once right-side out again, I folded the sides in and hot glued them. Then I hot glued the tab you see sticking up to the top of the folded in sides. I clamped it all with a binder clip. I learned later that hot glue would not hold, and ended up sewing it anyways.
Here you can see the next step on another skate (I made a pair of white skates for me and a pair of tan ones for my friend). Here the toe cover is sewn to the skate to cover the messy folded over front of the skate.
I cut out holes for laces using an Exacto knife. The binder clip is where I cut too far and used hot glue to glue the vinyl to itself, clamping it to stay put while it dried.
Once it was all sewn together, I used black acrylic paint starting from the bottom and going up about 2", or just to the bottom of the front toe cover.
Here are the wheels I made from scrapbook paper and drawn on with Sharpies. Not pictured are the "toe bumper" things that went onto the front of the skates, also made from scrapbook paper.
Here is a look at how the skates turned out. They were a bit boxy in the end, and in retrospect, I would have added a long strip to the front center of the skates, similar to that in the back. The front strip would also the be tongue, and the sides of the skates would be sewn to the front strip up until the shoelaces started. All in all, though, I was pretty tickled that they turned out at all.