A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roller Disco WHAT (with bonus roller "skates" tute!)  (Read 10603 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolalivia
« on: November 05, 2009 09:31:08 PM »

My friend and I were roller disco ladies together for Halloween this year. However, since our apartment has a wood floor, I knew we would not be able to wear actual roller skates when we hosted our party this year. Hence, I had to do a little problem solving in the way of making some realistic-looking fake roller skates!

Here is a photo of our finished costumes in their entirety. We each made our own leg/wrist warmers too. I also made little sequined pink stars for the back of my shorts. We spent much of the time gliding across the floor in slo-mo Wink

TUTORIAL BELOW

Here is the pattern I drew out for my skates. You can see there are two pieces on either side of one thin piece down the center.

First I cut out muslin for the pattern. I measured the height from the ground to just above the ankle, the distance from the middle of the heel to the middle toe for circumference, and the distance around the ankle/lower calf. I left a 1/2" seam allowance all around.

I sewed the pieces together. The middle piece is the back of a skate.

After cutting out the approximate shape of the pattern from the muslin, I pinned everything in place. I added a circle piece to cover the toe, which does not show up well in this photo.

Here the circle toe cover piece shows up better.

Here is the pattern all traced onto the back of a piece of vinyl for two skates. The pieces include the the main body of each skate, a circle toe cover piece, and a tongue. You can see here that I added two cuts toward the front edge of each skate to try to obtain a curved appearance once sewn.

I sewed the top and bottom edges of each skate with a 1/2" seam allowance. This photo shows the top edge only.

I sewed the front together by turning it inside out and sewing. Once right-side out again, I folded the sides in and hot glued them. Then I hot glued the tab you see sticking up to the top of the folded in sides. I clamped it all with a binder clip. I learned later that hot glue would not hold, and ended up sewing it anyways.

Here you can see the next step on another skate (I made a pair of white skates for me and a pair of tan ones for my friend). Here the toe cover is sewn to the skate to cover the messy folded over front of the skate.

I cut out holes for laces using an Exacto knife. The binder clip is where I cut too far and used hot glue to glue the vinyl to itself, clamping it to stay put while it dried.

Once it was all sewn together, I used black acrylic paint starting from the bottom and going up about 2", or just to the bottom of the front toe cover.

Here are the wheels I made from scrapbook paper and drawn on with Sharpies. Not pictured are the "toe bumper" things that went onto the front of the skates, also made from scrapbook paper.

Here is a look at how the skates turned out. They were a bit boxy in the end, and in retrospect, I would have added a long strip to the front center of the skates, similar to that in the back. The front strip would also the be tongue, and the sides of the skates would be sewn to the front strip up until the shoelaces started. All in all, though, I was pretty tickled that they turned out at all. Smiley

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009 09:57:44 PM by lolalivia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
april again
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009 12:15:27 PM »

This is an adorable costume...I want to turn back time and go as a roller derby queen for Halloween now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009 01:35:43 PM »

Oh you're smarter than me.  I went out as a roller skating waitress one year and fell and had to wear a sling for a week! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolalivia
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009 02:45:36 PM »

That's the rest of the story; I totally would have fallen a few times wearing regular roller skates. Awww... At least you had your heart in it - you were a brave soul! Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009 09:25:24 PM »

I've actually had a job roller skating before (in Walmart) and I didn't think anything of it.  My mom even made my costume and didn't worry about me.  The frustrating part was I was walking in and out of buildings, up and down stairs, etc. but when I feel I was just standing there and BANG! 

Your outfits are way cuter than mine anyway - and bigger and blonder!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perianmellon
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009 02:21:46 PM »

fancy seeing you here!  I love the costumes!

- Kristin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Custom Twitter Layout in Photoshop
How to Make Call Of Duty Style Modern Warfare Text in Photoshop
How to Make a Surreal Mist Effect in Photoshop
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop Cs4
How to Make an Easy Quick Wallpaper in Photoshop Cs4
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...