A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Four star guine pig condo  (Read 4288 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_cage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nobodyhasthisoneyet
« on: November 05, 2009 09:29:37 PM »

I share my house with two of the two most spoilt guinea pigs in the world...

Their favourite activities include eating and growing, and within weeks they'd outgrown their original run, which according to official how-to-raise-guinea-pig data is the right size for two adults.  So, they had a series of cobbled-together extensions and temporary runs, before I put my thinking cap on, gathered hammer and nails, and made their current accomodation.

It's hard to get a decent picture showing how it's put together, so please bear with me.

The room they're in is quite narrow, so I built a 30cm high freestanding mesh wall as long as the room is wide.  At the bottom, the mesh is sandwiched between two slim boards which are nailed together, with a much larger board then nailed to the back (the inside-the-cage side) for stability and strength.  If I want to make the run smaller or larger, I just move the mesh wall forwards or back.

Inside the run is lined with sturdy, good quality lino, which is cut to come up the walls a few inches as well as cover the floor.  The boys are litter-tray trained, but it's better to be sure than have a stained floor!

Here's what it looks like:

Inside, showing the lino coming up the walls:

The lino 'floor' is covered with old towels folded in half, and that covered with a layer of polarfleece.  The boys' are toilet trained well enough that the towels are still clean at the end of the week when I change their bedding, so they just need a light wash to freshen them up.

The big green 'piglo' has a litter tray inside it, and there's also one in their 'kitchen' where the veges are. The run's just been cleaned out and new bedding put in before I took these photos, which is why everything's so clean.  It doesn't stay that way!

And here's what makes it all worth it:

Hello there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer online regularly - if you need to contact me, try tweeting @artsieaspie.  Sorry for the inconvenience!
Minusxl3lindfold

R.I.P. Peter Steele. <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009 02:12:31 AM »

This is soooo great! I love how its a little home for them and the floor looks like a comfy rug. How did you litter train them? I wish my 2 rats were litter trained, lol. They are really cute and so lucky to have a home with you.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/minusxl3lindfold
Facebook: (always looking for crafty friends!) http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=100000584671613

Current Swaps:
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009 05:52:46 AM »

Oh my, your guinea pigs live in luxury!  Such a cute cage.  I have two bunnies and their cages always look pristine until they actually get IN them. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nobodyhasthisoneyet
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009 11:38:18 PM »

Thanks!  They love it - well, they love the extra area, anyway.  I don't think they could care less about all the trouble I went to finding co-ordinating fleece and piglos!  Cheesy

I don't really know how I toilet trained them, to be honest.  I originally had them in a closed-bottomed hutch thing lined with wood shavings, but was going through wood shavings at a heck of a rate.  So I experimented with only having the area where I fed them lined with shavings, and using "puppy pads" with fleece over them for the rest.  Within a few days they were using the shavings so reliably that I could do away with the pads, and they've been good ever since.

(more or less.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer online regularly - if you need to contact me, try tweeting @artsieaspie.  Sorry for the inconvenience!
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010 06:15:54 AM »

Looks great! I'm amazed that you have toilet trained your boys. Our old GP was quite good at peeing in one corner, but our two now seem to think that their whole cage is a toilet! Ugh!

I love the long tube - was that from a pet store or hardwear store?

Cute boys - what are there names?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010 06:28:32 AM »

that looks fantastic and your furbabies are gorgeous, though my friend's piggies could give yours a run for their money
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Heart and Soul of Korea in a Jar: Arirang Kimchi
Miso Salmon With Sweet Pea Sauce Recipe
Authentic Goan Prawn Curry Recipe
Making Indian Kerala Masala Spice
How to Make an Indian Chapati Bread
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...