A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,981
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: casting roses in resin??  (Read 2253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 05, 2009 01:11:11 PM »

I have some small dried roses (about 1" X 1") that I would like to cast into resin to wear as a pendant. I have never worked with resin before and the only molds I could find where only about a half an inch deep. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this, or know of any place where I can get pendant sized molds that are at least 1 inch deep? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009 08:36:14 AM by RaraAvis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWatchman
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009 10:22:31 PM »

I might beable to help. You can use ice trays. You do need release solution which you can get at Micheals and Hobby Lobby. I highly suggest using Envirotex Lite resin. The Casting Craft Resin is crap and hard to mix. Envirotex Lite is equal two part resin. Equal amount of resin and hardner. Very easy to use. If icetrays are not up your alley... you can try googling plastic containers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009 06:41:58 AM »

I live outside the US and buy my resin supplies at a supply place for pools. Yes pools! My MIL is coming to visit and I am thinking of asking for a few things maybe even Envirotex Lite resin.  Is is very heavy?  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009 11:33:31 AM »

First to booglass, I don't think that epoxy resins (or any kind of resin) would be allowed on an airplane (or even in the mail), so you might want to check out art supply places, as well as craft or hobby stores for either epoxy resin or polyester resin (generally, you'll want the craft type if you get a polyester since the polyesters used for "fiberglass" etc. aren't as reliably clear and smooth).

RaraAvis, as mentioned, ice cube trays are often used as molds for resins if regular molds for resin haven't been purchased because they're made from the kind of plastic that's flexible, very smooth, and can take the heat of curing resin (HDPE plastic usually)... or they're made from silicone which will work the same way.  (Any scratches or non-smoothness won't give the glossiest surface to the resin though.)

As for casting dried roses in molds deeper than 1", you could probably find an ice cube tray of some type that would work, or you can purchase resin molds from art supply stores and craft and hobby stores usually, or online:
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/8b/1/AAAAArzRUSQAAAAAAIsVRw.jpg
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?page=itemList&viewcat=3732
Or you can buy silicone things online or at kitchen stores, as well as in craft stores, etc.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenan1/2812884464

You'll have to consider the type and brand of resin that will work best for this particular purpose too since you want to use a mold, and remove the hardened resin afterward. 
The 2 basic craft choices are clear polyester resin and epoxy resin, with polyester being the one that's good for reliably casting in molds that are deeper than about 1/2". 
Epoxy resins can also be cast in molds but they are more adhesive and a bit more expensive, though safer, than polyester resins.  Usually epoxy resins are poured into permanent cells of some kind though (over a photo, or little bits of things, etc.) rather than in molds, or epoxies are used for giving a very thick clear coating to items... one type of that kind , sold at hardware stores, would be referred to as "bartop resin"). 

The biggest problem with polyester resins is that the side that cures next to the air will often not cure thoroughly so that surface may stay a bit sticky (if don't do certain things), and polyesters are less safe for lungs than epoxies.

One line of epoxy resin put out recently is kind of a hybrid between epoxies and polyesters (called Easy Cast) and it can reliably be cast in deep molds and is "safe," but if it's exposed to body heat or higher, it will become kind of soft, and if it's thin it will be flexible.  It may be fine for your use though, especially if you put a backing of felt or something on the back side so it won't get too warmed up.

As for mixing resins, polyester resins can be more fiddly than epoxy resins since epoxies are almost always mixed one-to-one, whereas polyesters are mixed with a few drops of the catalyst part to a lot of the other part and the number of drops can vary depending on various factors (if mixed wrong, can be problems later).

You can find all kinds of info about the types of resin, brand names**, advantages/disadvantages, application methods, how to get rid of normal bubbles, etc., etc, on this page of my site if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/other_materials.htm

** The most common brand name of clear craft polyester resin is Castin' Craft Clear Polyester Casting Resin;
... the most common brands of craft epoxy resin are Envirotex Lite, Ultra-Glo, Aristocrat's Liquid Glass, and a few others;
... the only "hybrid" epoxy resin that cures fairly hard is Easy Cast (the Castin' Craft people's foray into making an "epoxy" resin).

And here are some other replies I've written here summarizing into about resins, etc:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=275238.msg3112408#msg3112408
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=293667.msg3341730#msg3341730
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=254029.msg3522191#msg3522191

Btw, you'll probably want to pre-dip your roses in resin, or do something else, to keep air from getting trapped in the folds of the petals which will later create excess bubbles or cloudiness in the resin. 

(Since you're unfamiliar with resin, I'd definitely try some practice runs if you only have one special rose.)

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009 11:43:18 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009 06:54:25 AM »

You can have resin mailed.  And it is not listed as a hazardous item either.  I just find it easier to buy locally though it makes mixing an adventure.  There are no directions, no measurements it is all learn by doing.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009 02:53:20 PM »

Wow thanks for all the information everyone. If I don't find a mold I like I will try using ice cube trays.

Diane B., thank you so much. I didn't really think much about the resin only about finding a proper mold. So I will definitely use your advice. Also, I will try it out on some other dried roses first, before I do the special ones.

Thanks again everyone!

~Caitlin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009 06:29:45 AM »

Try candy molds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Mask and Brush Tool in Photoshop
How to Put a Zoom blur on the background of a photo
How to Remove Person from the background of a photo
How to Change the Color of Background Mat
How to Achieve vibrant photos.
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...