A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,184
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corn on the cob  (Read 4836 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 05, 2009 08:33:53 PM »

Oh man only 20 min to the deadline! 

I asked my 2 yr old what he wanted to dress up on 'corn'  ummm...ok.....are you sure?   'yes mommy, corn please'

So here it is!

front

back

Ok so the yellow peice is sort of a bloomers/onsie style covered in kernels.  It is a layer of felt, with a layer of jersey on top, sewn into squares, and then on the inside, each kernel was cut open, stuffed and then sewn shut.  Then to make it look more realistic, I painted each kernel different shades of yellowish colors. 

The crotch has a velcro flap, because he is 2 and has to pee every 5 min.  There is also elastic at the shoulders.

The green part is 4 big leaf shapes, w/ striped textured fabric on the outside, felt inside, with tones of lines sewn on for details.  there is a gap between the leaves for his arms on each side, and the bottom is elastic, again so I could pull it up for the potty thing!  The green also snaps to the collar area of the yellow.

The hat is jersey and again each kernel is stuffed and painted.  I used felt and ribbon for the corn silk.

I also made matching green patchwork shoes, because he only will wear the shoes I make him!

It was pretty hot for him to wear, sense it was 85 degrees here and it was like a down vest!  But he liked it anyways and wore it dispite getting sweaty. 

This one is in a bounce house - he is compleatly 'huskable', the green is a seperate peice!   Both the front and the back and the sides have corn kernals.

More pics:

In a halloween parade:  (you can see the shoes here)

with my parents on the 'Boo Choo' train

With a mummy tiger

WIP:

This is before the crotch peice was added, I also cut in the shoulders so they would lay flat and against him instead of sticking out, added handmade bias tape all the way around, and painted all the kernels  - you can see the kernels stuffing better in this pic than others though!

and this is how he kept himself entertained while I sewed:

I made him a tutu!  I made myself a black and orange one too for my costume (pumpkin fairy)

And just for fun, this was his back-up costume, I made for the hot weather (can you tell what it is?)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
omgmarissa
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009 08:57:59 AM »

that is adorable! it looks like a lot of work. is the backup costume a caterpillar? that one from that book.. i can't remember the name. both of them look really good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moxie_Crimefighter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009 11:55:31 AM »

That is the cutest thing ever! hahahaha oh wow. What a creative child to come up with a costume idea like that
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lacilemon
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009 01:19:53 PM »

bwhahahh corn! i love it!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michelle,obviously
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009 02:05:26 PM »

This looks awesome! Believe it or not, I actually almost dressed as corn on the cob this year too, but I ended up being an octopus. Your costume looks great! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009 09:23:06 PM »

HAha. Great way to carry out the corn costume! And smart on making the corn husk removable for hot weather. - In the weather here, I'd need an extra husk! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junebean
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009 05:20:21 PM »

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle!  So cute!  I especially love the extra touch of strawberry with a hole for the treat bag.  Both costumes are so well done and adorable.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009 10:16:12 PM »

I'm glad I'm alone right now because I just yelled excitedly "He's the hungry caterpillar!!!" OMG please make me one in my size! They are both great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009 05:59:23 PM »

That's awesome! I want a 2 year old so I can make them halloween costumes to wear all year round. Muhahahahha.... when they get to about 3 they get more freewill Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarieAntoinette
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009 07:36:59 PM »

Corn!  Cheesy  Your 2 year old is adorable and very imaginative!

Great costumes both of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
James Franco and Michael Cunningham Talk About Youth
Meet Author Jeffery Deaver
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reads a Poem by Langston Hughes
Annie Leonard Talks About The Story of Stuff
Sabrina Jeffries Talks About Let Sleeping Rogues Lie
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...