A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,922
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow brite!  (Read 2913 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fervidfemme
« on: November 05, 2009 04:57:32 PM »

Last hallowe'en, I was busy costuming Hamlet, and had no time to make a costume of my own. Boo! So I wound up wearing something out of the costume closet, and moping around on craftster looking at everyone else's costumes.  

When I saw <a href="http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=278538.0">this post</a>, I decided, in November of 2008, that I would be rainbow brite this year.

The internet is full of terrible rainbow brite costumes.  My pet peeves were tiny belts with skinny straps, and strange puffy shoulders that look nothing like rainbow brite's.  And don't get me started on the sluttiness of them!  Mine is a shirt & a circle skirt that I managed to mess up but bring to a point in the centre.

I made a nice wide belt by drafting an abbreviated underbust corset, and attaching nice wide straps to it.  The belt is closed with velcro at the back, and the rainbow (the bottom colour should be green, but my green inexplicably disappeared) is made with the same polar fleece as the sleeves and boots.  I made a lot of contrasts in the fabric (fake velvet, polar fleece, shiny something) because I was trying to keep it inexpensive and cartoony.  I made every inch of it except the stupid wig, which was the only one i could afford that could be put in a ponytail.  

Unfortunately, I don't have many pics of the damn thing, because my partner had the most impossible to maneuver costume on earth.  Here's arguably the worst photo of me on the internet, stolen off facebook, which shows more detail of the shirt.  The stand-up shoulders were created using interfacing with fabric glued on both sides, then sewn to the belt straps.  

And just for fun, here's the my partner's costume:

I love him because of how into hallowe'en he is.  What you can't see is the fact that the front panel lights up when he talks, and all the lights flash.  There's a youtube vid of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y05f8Wq_4sw&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009 06:20:04 AM by fervidfemme » THIS ROCKS   Logged
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009 09:17:36 PM »

You did an awesome job!  I was Rainbow Bright when I was in the 2nd grade, I loved that costume!! The skirt had some kind of sturdy foam in it to keep it in stuck out a bit.  I think I will have to do this next year!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009 05:18:44 AM »

i love your costume Smiley and yes sluttiness ruins many-a-good costume concepts Sad

that robot is pretty rockin' as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
pookiemccool
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009 10:37:23 PM »

very cute, I love the colors and its nice to see a Rainbow Brite costume that isn't slutty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isadora12000
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009 07:10:40 PM »

so glad you were inspired by my own version of Rainbow Bright! You look wonderful in yours, wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Consider what ideas are lost by censorship.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Getting Rid Of Puffiness And Circles Under The Eyes
How To Protect And Youthen Your Skin
Three Tricks For Curling Your Lashes
Birchbox Shows You How to Avoid Sunburn
Miranda Mendoza: Copy the Cover Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...