A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Illusion shawl with tutorial  (Read 10392 times)
Tags for this thread: illusion , skull_and_crossbones , shawl , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 05, 2009 05:54:11 AM »

I made this shawl for the "Make Me Something Fibre Made"-swap and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. The chart comes from Ysoldes Skull illusion scarf, but any chart can be used as long as it's not too wide. I had to flip the chart upside down to get the skulls right way up on the shawl.

Close up on the illusion:

Curling is a problem with illusion projects, but since the "wings" of the shawl are knitted in garter stitch I managed to mostly avoid the problem. I removed one stitch from each side of the chart since the sides of the shawl will prevent it from curling.

Tutorial
It helps to be familiar with shadow knitting, but ask me if anything is unclear and I'll try to explain or point you to a shadow knitting tutorial.

General notes:
- The colour will change every other row, and to make sure the edge is nice and neat you should purl the last stitch on every row and slip the first stitch of every row as if to knit. New yarn colour goes in front of the "old" one at every change.

- The first row of every colour is ALWAYS knitted, and the second row is where the magic happens. This means that if you flip a chart upside down you should still knit the first row and then follow the chart for the second.

- Increases in the sides and around the chart are done on the first row of every colour. I increased less often at the start for my shawl, but every other row should work better. (that's why the top edge is not completely straight)

Materials:
I used Marks & Kattens Carolina, 2 skeins black and 2 skeins pink.
Large circular US 6 / 4.0 mm needle. It helps if it can be extended as you go. (I used my Denise set)

Gauge is not terribly important as long as the fabric is not too loose. You'll want it firm but still with a nice drape.

General formula:
CO the number of stitches for the chart + 4 extra stitches. I've used coloured rows to indicate the colour changes between main colour and contrast colour.

Row 1: k2, YO, knit chart stitches, YO, k1, p1 (chart +6)
Row 2: Slip 1, knit to end, p1

Row 3: Slip 1, k1, YO, k1, YO, (place marker) knit chart stitches (place marker), YO, k1, YO, k1, p1 (chart +10)
Row 4: Slip 1, knit to marker, follow chart to marker, knit until end, p1
Row 5: Slip 1, k1, YO, knit to marker, YO after the marker, follow chart until marker, YO, knit until 2 stitches remain, YO, k1, p1 (chart +14)
Row 6: Slip 1, knit to marker, follow chart to marker, knit until end, p1

Row 7: Slip 1, k1, YO, knit to marker, YO after the marker, follow chart until marker, YO, knit until 2 stitches remain, YO, k1, p1 (chart +14)
Row 8: Slip 1, knit to marker, follow chart to marker, knit until end, p1

Rinse and repeat. When the shawl is large enough you should add a couple of garter stitch rows at the end of the middle panel to make sure the bottom doesn't curl. Cast off loosely.

I'll polish the tutorial a bit so feel free to ask questions and suggest what I can clarify!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009 11:31:44 PM by Annchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009 05:55:34 AM »

Craftster tutorial for designing your own illusion charts

The basic idea behind illusion knitting is to use the two yarn colours to create an optical illusion. You can't use colours that are too close together but dark blue + light blue works just fine.

Each part of the pattern consists of 4 rows, 2 in each colour. Row 1 and 3 is always knitted and just serves to space out the pattern and make the stripes look nice.

The magic happens in row 2 and 4 where alternating knits and purls decides what colour the illusion will get. Knitting on the wrong side produces bumps on the right side that will make that particular colour show.

Knitting colour A + Purling colour B = Colour A shows

Knitting colour B + Purling colour A = Colour B shows

Knitting colour A + knitting colour B = You get a mix between the two and can "shade" your knitting.

From my experience it's easier if the pattern repeat is not huge, since you might not see the entire illusion at once unless you lay your garment flat and look at it from the right angle.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009 11:30:56 PM by Annchen - Reason: added tutorial link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlairsBear

Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009 07:18:51 PM »

Heeeey Cooool!  Thanks for the tute, it's very good of you, hope to see more of these neat looking shawlsz popping up as a result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.
Hellz Bellz
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009 03:23:36 AM »

That is so cool!
I love it!
And I am so going to knit this as I have the perfect colours for it ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would dig a thousand holes,to lie next to you...I would dig a thousand more if I needed too <3
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009 06:07:36 AM »

Thanks! Please let me know if anything is unclear if you should try it out.

Illusion knitting is fun, but there are so many scarves and potholders out there. There is so much more potential for it.

I'm going to knit up one of these for me as my next "me"-project, but I haven't decided on the illusion yet. I'm thinking maybe this one with dragonflies... Or some kind of DNA-spiral along the back... Or perhaps I should try out shaded illusion knitting and make a pattern that "mixes" the two colours. There are two really cool ones on ravelry, gollum and harry potter, but I think they would be too wide to make into a shawl. (and I'm not sure I'd want to snuggle around with Gollum on my back  Grin)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009 01:07:04 PM by Annchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Yum Nuea
How to Cook Pad Thai Jay
How to Serve Barbecued Korean Chicken
How to Make Coriander Chutney and Cucumber Raita Condiments
How to Make Tasty Chicken Breasts in Satay Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...