A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,773
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Queen Candy Cane - Craftster Challenge #44  (Read 3389 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Solsisters
« on: November 04, 2009 09:08:44 PM »

Her Majesty, Queen Candy Cane of Christmas Isle, dropped by our house to help with the gardening. I believe we'll be planting peppermint .... by royal decree, of course!

This started with a white lace dress my mom made for my daughter's 5th grade graduation earlier this year. Now where else is an 11-year old going to wear a plain white lace dress? The teacher insisted the dress be PLAIN white and of course, we couldn't find anything at the store.

So, making the best of money already spent, I added the sheer glittery candy cane underskirt right to the original lining in the dress. We had originally planned to be Snow princess but didn't find sheer snow fabric ... so switched gears.

We made the scepter out of a cardboard tube and part of the reel some of the garland came wound on. It was covered in tin foil, tape, and the attacked with hot glue and a huge number of pipe cleaners, glittery snowflakes, Christmas garland, plastic peppermints, two holiday peppermint sprigs and silver bells, plus pipe cleaner candy canes on top.

The crown is a base of red and white craft foam that suffered a similar treatment with glitter glue and stick-on foam candy canes, 3D pipe cleaner candy canes, star garland and more plastic peppermints. I even used some odd white eyelash yarn around the base for a little snowy feel.

The treat bag was in my Christmas box from last year. A few stick-on foam candy canes and some glitter glue to write with finished that up.

Her stole and cape is just more translucent fabric with glittery green, red, and silver dots. The big candy cane on the front was a foam kit that took about 5 minutes to glue and attach to the dress with a few stitches.

Thermal red shirt and gloves plus white long johns, awesome candy cane knee socks and silver shoes were purchased from Target or Walmart. All can be worn again after Halloween.

Minus the articles that can be worn again, this cost about $80 plus time. Had I shopped at the dollar store for the Christmas decorations instead of Hancock's and Michael's it would have come in even cheaper. The most expensive thing was those lengths of sheer fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009 03:52:40 PM »

I love it! She looks so deliciously pepperminty Tongue I hope you guys have a Christmas pageant or party or something that she can wear it to, because something that pretty NEEDS to be worn again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solsisters
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009 10:14:42 PM »

My daughters says "THANK YOU!" for the compliments.

We may actually donate the outfit to Opportunity Village here in Las Vegas. They have a big annual fundraiser every Christmas called the Magical Forest with lots of costumed characters. I am pretty sure they can use a Queen Candy Cane outfit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spirited Bourbon-Pecan-Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
How to Make Elegant Praline Rugelach
How to Make Red Velvet Brownies
Gola Maker
How to Make Merry Marble Snickerdoodles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...