A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Umbrella as light shade  (Read 1663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sciurism

Roji Panty Complex

View Profile WWW
« on: February 29, 2004 02:14:46 AM »

Very simple idea.
Instead of one of those lame square glass shades for the light fixture in my room, I decided to get an umbrella from an asian market.  The one I found was $10 and made of bamboo and white fabric with flowers and birds painted on it.  I haven't put it up yet, but I'm going to do it the easy way.  I plan on sawing off a bit of the handle (cause it hangs too far down right now).   Then I'm gonna use zip ties to attach the umbrella to the bare light fixture that's up there now.  So yes, umbrellas=cheap and very cool light shades.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

braintwins design -- www.braintwins.com
aryn
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004 07:26:55 AM »

You mean for one of the fixtures that is close to the ceiling? I'm not sure if I'm thinking the same thing as you, but what I'm picturing is really neat! I always want to buy those parasols in chinatown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004 08:49:59 AM »

I've used one of those paper lanterns from Target as a lamp shade.  

I have a big floor lamp, the kind with a table on it.  I got it from a thrift store for $3, and the shade was that awful fake-muslim looking stuff, ruffled, with a big brown bow on it.  (Blech and double blech!)  We used it without a shade for quite a while because we couldn't stomach spending more on a shade (It would have to be a big shade, or we'd have to buy a new harp too, and just live with the shade being disproportionate looking.) than we did on the lamp.  

Even at Walmart, lampshades of the size we would need were in the $14-$20 range, and the ones that cheap weren't all that attractive.  I'd considered ways I could spruce them up, but just hadn't wanted to spend the money and the time.

Then, the other day, we saw those paper lanters at Target.  They're pretty big, come in cool colors, and nifty shapes.  We got one of the cylinder ones for $4.99.  It's about 18" long when unfolded, and a foot in diameter.  I was considering hanging it from the ceiling so it would fit over the lamp, but when I brought it home and set it on harp, it looked great just like that!  

I had to do some manipulating with some wire to make it fit a harp, since it's meant to be hung, and it doesn't have a finial, but otherwise it's great.  It has a wide opening at the bottom so that while sitting in the chair or couch you get directional light straight from the lamp, so it's bright enough to craft by, but it difuses the light beautifully around the rest of the room.  It's the pretty purple color, and it's really perfect.  My husband can be rocking our daughter to sleep across the room, the light is so soft and calming, but I can still be sitting in the chair reading with full light.

I highly recommend it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004 10:39:01 AM »

sciurism  that is a grat idea!

Lothruin  I've made ifinals out of diff stuf... eane just a syroform ball painted & attache dot the top of the lamp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sciurism

Roji Panty Complex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004 10:52:55 AM »

You mean for one of the fixtures that is close to the ceiling?

Yeah, i'm talking about the 2-lightbulb ceiling fixtures that are pretty standard for bedrooms (when you don't have a ceiling fan or anything).  I'm basically hanging the parasol upside-down from that fixture.

I really wish my camera wasn't broken, so I could post pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

braintwins design -- www.braintwins.com
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004 12:33:12 PM »

i've seen this done with a cheapo plastic umbrella in a light color with some white xmas lights piled inside it, hanging from the ceiling. very cool and you have something to do with your extra xmas lights!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenB.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004 04:43:09 AM »

This works!  I've had one in my dining room for about two years now.  I sawed off the handle, drilled a hole through the stub that was left and used some wire to attach it to the fixture.  I use those compact flourescent bulbs which stay very cool and I haven't burnt my house down yet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Wellington on fixmyrecipe.com
How to make Cranberry Sauce
Artichoke Chicken With Roasted Potatoes Recipe
Sauteed Chicken With Mushroom Sauce Recipe
How to Cut Apart a Whole Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...