A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Make a Cozy Bed Warmer  (Read 2572 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dnd4us
« on: November 04, 2009 11:28:06 AM »

A cozy bed warmer is one of my favorite things.  Put them in the microwave for a few minutes and they work wonders for cold feet, aches and pains, or plain old stress relief.  Bed warmers make a such a wonderful gift.  They are easy to make, inexpensive, and both pampering and useful.

For years I would climb into bed in the Winter,  and put my cold feet on my husbands legs to warm them up.  Then my Mom made me a bed warmer.  Now I heat mine up every cold night before I go to bed.  I think my husband appreciates it more than I do.

Last year for Christmas, my Mom made them for all of her grandchildren.  But I wasnt sure if my kids would ever take the time to use them.  I was wrong.  Its a Winter ritual now, every night before bed my girls line up at the microwave to heat their warmer.  Even my son loves his, especially after a day of skiing, snowshoeing or playing in the snow.

My husband steals mine for back or neck aches come to think of it, maybe he needs one for Christmas.  We have also used them to soothe stomach aches and the chills from fevers.

To heat up your bed warmer, simply put it in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes.  (Dont overheat like my husband did once, we heard popping like it is turning into popcorn!)

You can make a bed warmer filled with feed corn, rice or buckwheat.  I use feed corn, because it is very inexpensive and it stays warm for an exceptionally long time. I purchase feed corn from our local IFA, a feed and farm supply store.  A 50 pound bag is less than $10.  Thats enough feed corn to make between 17 to 25 bed warmers.  You can also purchase it by the pound if you are only making a few, but it is not as cost effective.  Buckwheat can be purchased in bulk from many natural foods stores.  Buckwheat is wonderful, but just more expensive.  Rice is inexpensive, but doesnt hold the heat as long.  Be prepared for what ever you use to smell when its heated- feed corn like popcorn, rice like cooked rice and buckwheat smells a little grainy, but has the least smell of the three.

We have found several fabrics that make good warmers, such as cotton chenille, cotton flannel or cotton fabric.  I prefer chenille or flannel as you want it to be cozy and soft.  The only thing weve found is that the fabric should be a natural fiber, for some reason the synthetic fabrics seem to sweat when the bed warmer is heated (we found out the hard way using minky.)

I prefer a bed warmer with a removable, washable cover. Today I made a warmer with a chenille front for comfort and a print fabric back to make it easier to remove the inside pillow.  The same technique can be used for flannel on both sides, you just dont need to line the back fabric.

Heres what you will need for this project:
  • 7″ x 21″ 100% cotton chenille fabric for the front (available from most quilt shops) (or flannel)
    7″ x 24″ cotton print fabric for the back (or cotton flannel)
    1/2 yard cotton muslin for inside pillow and to line the cotton print fabric
    7 cups feed corn, buckwheat, or rice (it is just under 3 pounds of the corn- I dont know weights for rice or buckwheat.)
    Rick rack for embellishment, if desired

Here is a link to the whole tutorial and all the photos: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/make-it-do-gift-cozy-bed-warmers/

Have Fun,

Calli
Make it Do
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009 02:15:55 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meladoro
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010 02:08:04 PM »

I love it! Looks very cosy indeed. I still use a rubber one filled with water. Now I want one of these!
Happy warm feet Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010 01:27:02 PM »

I have never thought of doing something like this to warm the tootsies!!
GREAT idea!!  I will have to go get some feed corn, and make some for all my cold natured friends!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
bexieboo
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010 01:37:52 PM »

Thanks for the tute! It sounds pretty easy to make, and probably a lot safer than my hot water bottle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010 02:09:12 PM »

That is a great idea!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelaughlive
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012 12:51:54 PM »

This is sooo cool! I wanted to make something like that for my sister, but I didn't know, what to put inside, cause I only knew them with cherry stones, and I definitely didn't know, where to find some  Cheesy
Have to try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery - NY, New York
Lure Fish Bar, SoHo, New York
How to Make Garlic Toast
How to Make Macque Choux
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Legs Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...