A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dr. Who Villain Costumes [Completely Photo bloated with construction pics!]  (Read 6717 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries , papier_mache , dr_who , doctor_who  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tidbits_Trinkets

Vendor, Crafty Goodness, Nov. 7, Seven Hills, OH

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2009 11:05:30 AM »

Okay, so my kids are all crazy for the British T.V. show Dr. Who. They love the Doctor. Especially my sons. Both of them decided they wanted to be villains from the show - a Dalek and a Cyberman. I'm entering these both together because they were both inspired by the same episode - where both Cybermen and Daleks show up and try to conquer the Earth.

First, the finished costumes:

My elder son as a gold colored Dalek:

And my younger son as a Cyberman:

(Here are the reference photos I used from the BBC website for the Dalek and the Cyberman.)

I made both nearly entirely out of paper mache.  Of course, the Dalek had some 'add ons' to complete it, and I used straws in the construction of the Cyberman. I got down to the wire time wise on the Dalek and had to try and finish his 'bumps' with styrofoam balls cut in half. They didn't work well and didn't want to stay on properly. But the bumps that I had made out of paper mache worked fine.

Here are some construction photos of the Dalek:

First, I made a collar out of poster board and started doing the rectangles on it. This is the base of the Dalek's 'head'.

Then I started making paper mache 'bumps' by coating the inside of some small glass bowls with petroleum jelly and lining them with paper mache. That's where these finished bumps that I am laying out on one of the Dalek's bottom panels came from. This ended up being a problem because I ran out of time before I was able to make all the bumps from paper mache, and I had to try and use the less satisfactory styrofoam balls.

Here's a finished panel. But then I realized I should put the panels together and THEN put the bumps on, which lead to this photo:

Remember what I said about running out of time to do all the bumps in paper mache? Here I am trying to get the styrofoam bumps to stay adhered by putting books on them while the glue dries.

Then the styrofoam had to be primed with acrylic/latex paint before spraypainting, so it didn't melt. I really really wish I had had time to do ALL the bumps in paper mache. Much easier to paint and attach and... well, you know. By this point, I was calling the bumps 'Dalek boobs'.

In order for my son to see, I made the central part of the Dalek head out of plastic needlepoint canvas spray painted with black Krylon paint. Worked great!

And the head - not quite finished - spray painted and drying in the yard. The gun and 'plunger' were added later and were put through holes in the front so my son could manipulate them a bit. The gun was a paint roller without it's fuzzy cover [I swear that must have been what the BBC used, because it looks just like it!] and the plunger was, well, a plunger, cut down a little and painted the proper colors. The end of the eye stalk coming out the middle of the head were some odds and ends from my collage box. And the 'lights' on the top are upside down plastic drinking cups.

Okay, now for the Cyberman, which was much simpler:

On a 'real' Cyberman, the front is several plates of layered armor. I decided to do 'faux' layers by building up the posterboard chest plate with layers of old school papers (yes, lol, with 4 kids I have a lot of those  Cheesy ).

I then accentuated the edges of the layers with rolled up 'snakes' of notebook paper - roll up a skinny tube on the long edge of a piece of paper and then dampen it with paper mache paste and shape it as you want. This is how I also did the 'wires' and other raised parts on the arm and leg sections. Pardon the blurry photo - my son took it because my hands were all covered in goop!

Here are 'before' and 'after' shots of some of the leg and arm pieces. They were just paper mache built up on posterboard. I made sure they fit my son by making templates out of notebook paper and trying them on, and then trying on the posterboard tubes before adding the paper mache. The thin 'tubes' on the upper part of each arm and leg (you can see them better on later picks) are drinking straws covered in papermache.

I constructed a 'face-plate' mask, building up parts just like the chest plate, to give my son that blank emotionless look that makes Cybermen so creepy. The arcs of the 'headphones' are straws again. My friend Amy helped at this point by finishing the paper mache on the mask, but we had to put one of my styrofoam display heads in a plastic bag and put the mask on it in order for it to dry in the proper shape. The ear covers are cut down styrofoam disks. The rest is posterboard and paper mache, except for one checker from my collage bin (Which you can see in later photos).

Here are various parts after spray painting them a matte silver color. In the middle of the 'headphones' on the Cyberman mask you can see the checker. Looks really different papermached and painted. Hard to believe I managed to get this from less than $6 of supplies - with half of that being spray paint.

The parts of the costume were connected with strips of silver fabric left over from my eldest daughter's costume and it had straps that tied in the back.

And here am I after the spray painting of the Cyberman:

I'm pretty much over my 'partial petrification' now except that my left thumbnail is still silver.  Grin

Well, what do you all think?

Bekka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bekka K., owner
Tidbits Trinkets
Unique collage supplies for mixed media art, card making, and scrapbooking.

Be sure to get your FREE Daily PUBLIC DOMAIN image(s) on my blog The Schizoid Mouse.
kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009 11:22:27 AM »

AWESOME!! There needs to be more Who love on Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009 11:36:52 AM »

Your determination and attention to detail is amazing! I think I would have folded after the first dozen silver "bumps"...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tidbits_Trinkets

Vendor, Crafty Goodness, Nov. 7, Seven Hills, OH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009 07:23:45 AM »

AWESOME!! There needs to be more Who love on Craftster.

Cheesy Thanks for the positive comments. Feel free to show other Who-vian Craftster folks. Maybe I'll actually get a vote or two (not likely, I know...)

Bekka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bekka K., owner
Tidbits Trinkets
Unique collage supplies for mixed media art, card making, and scrapbooking.

Be sure to get your FREE Daily PUBLIC DOMAIN image(s) on my blog The Schizoid Mouse.
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009 04:04:50 PM »

I <3 the Dalek and Cyberman costumes!! Fantastic *sings* Daleks are evil, Cybermen are too, Sonic Screwdrivers are Fab, We Love Doctor Who!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Coarse Hair for an Oval Face
How to Style Straight Hair for a Square Face
How to Style Fine Hair for a Square Face
How to Match Curly Hair to a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Curly Hair to a Square Shaped Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...