A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Catwoman (In A Sweater!)  (Read 880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2012 09:42:15 PM »

I feel like I've been making costumes all year-round, so I really wanted something comfy, cute, easy and quick to do for Halloween.
Artist Hanie Modh has drawn a variety of superheroines/villains in sweaters - which are all so delightful and fun, so I decided to create a costume of her Catwoman.

Surprisingly I couldn't find the right grey sweater, so I made my own out of a soft knit fabric (and pin-tucked the cuffs and giant mod-avant-garde collar-cowl). For the sweater pattern, I used Burda 7742 as a guide (I lengthened the torso and the arms, and then winged the cuffs, collar and neckline). The little cat face was cut out of fleece, embroidered, then stitched onto the sweater. I kind of mucked up the mouth embroidery, but then again, it was 2 in the morning on Halloween!

I decided to make her little cat-aviator-hood out of fleece (to keep things cozy). I looked at cowl patterns from past animal costumes, quickly cut one out of scrap material, then kept tucking and pinning it around my head until it was relatively tight (then made the final fleece version using the scrap one as a pattern). I didn't want to bother with a proper strap, so I sewed a thick piece of black elastic where a chin strap would normally go. The ears were pairs of triangles sewn together and flipped right-side out. I propped a piece of cardboard in them before sewing them to the cowl, to help them stand up a bit.

Pair with black tights, black gloves, black shoes, some red ski goggles and a little bit of eyeliner, and voila!
The Sweater Superheroines make really great, really easy costumes, so ladies, if you find you're running low on time next year, they are go-to costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013 06:44:55 PM »

Love this! I totally recognized it too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sock Skeleton
How to Create a Cat Mask
How to Make Halloween Favor Bags
How to Make Color Prints with Potatoes
Fish-Themed Party Activity with Martha Stewart
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...